1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Sizes

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wornoutmummy, Mar 18, 2018.

1. wornoutmummy

wornoutmummy New commenter

I hope someone can give me a little insight into class sizes in Primary Schools.

I know there is no upper limit as such, but my class is now up to 34 children. The other classes in my school have between 14 and 20 children.

I have an amazing HLTA as my TA, but if one of us is called out then we are left on our own teaching. In the afternoons I teach alone for the full two and a bit hours.

Not sure what anyone can say, but a gentle reassurance that I'm not the only one in this sort of situation?

2. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Anything above 28 I always found difficult but I work in a difficult school. It also depends on the needs of the pupils. It might be worth speaking to your Head to see if you can have any support in the afternoons.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why is your class double the size of everyone else's? That's the grievance I would be raising. Maybe yours is the only class with a TA?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You're in a minority, but not alone:

[​IMG]

I'm guessing you're a one form entry school, in which case next year should be better?

Pomza likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you may need to put up with it for the rest of the academic year, but definitely be having words with the head about next year.
    Maybe find a way the classes could be reorganised to make them more even and take it to the head as a solution?

6. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

There's a media class of 40 in my old secondary school. I don't even know how this is possible; the computer rooms only go up to 25!

7. wornoutmummy

wornoutmummy New commenter

All classes have a ta in the mornings, as mine is the hlta it's often her that gets pulled out if someone else is sick.
    Two of the other classes also have an lsa for behaviour specific children.
    KS1 are single form entry, KS2 are both mixed classes. I'm one of the KS2 classes.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Sounds like the numbers are such that there is no easy solution. On paper, giving you the HLTA seems like the obvious way to even things up - but if she's being pulled out frequently, that's the problem. Are they getting supply in? Is she just pulled out for short-notice cover, or every absence? Perhaps you need to make the case that they need to make more use of supply, or perhaps the head could do some of the cover? It must be very disruptive to have planned your lessons to make use of your HLTA and then not have her there.
    The other thing would be to make the case for a bit more TA or HLTA time in the afternoon - if the school could run to giving you someone for an extra hour each afternoon, that might make a difference.