1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class sizes...

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by liminal, Sep 10, 2011.

1. I teach at a sixth form college and our Drama results are excellent (70% A/B at AS; 80% A/B at A2; ALPS 3 for both). Last year our department was sabotaged by SMT. I would love to share the story but can't at the present time in case the centre could be identified. [​IMG]
    I would like some feedback on my current situation however. A relatively new (and inexperienced)manager has decided to timetable my colleague and I by giving him all the A2 (40 students in two classes) and myself all the AS (63 in 3 classes).
    As HoD I explained that the Edexcel course is structured so that when you tecah a combination of AS and A2 the workload is balanced e.g. while busy working on AS practical exams your A2 students are working towards a written exam. This has fallen on deaf ears.
    Although heartbroken at not teaching A2, my more pressing concern is that the students are being taught in classes which are far too big and that as a result their contact time with the teacher when working towards practical assessment will be radically reduced. We get fabulous students and I don't feel we are providing them with the best service we can. In addition, the extensive AS administration for exams will be very challenging for this number. [​IMG]
    I would love to receive any comments from other Drama teachers.... if for no other reason than to gauge working conditions in other places.
    PS I now teach in a Sports Activities hall and have to book to use the theatre space.... [​IMG]

2. I teach at a sixth form college and our Drama results are excellent (70% A/B at AS; 80% A/B at A2; ALPS 3 for both). Last year our department was sabotaged by SMT. I would love to share the story but can't at the present time in case the centre could be identified. [​IMG]
    I would like some feedback on my current situation however. A relatively new (and inexperienced)manager has decided to timetable my colleague and I by giving him all the A2 (40 students in two classes) and myself all the AS (63 in 3 classes).
    As HoD I explained that the Edexcel course is structured so that when you tecah a combination of AS and A2 the workload is balanced e.g. while busy working on AS practical exams your A2 students are working towards a written exam. This has fallen on deaf ears.
    Although heartbroken at not teaching A2, my more pressing concern is that the students are being taught in classes which are far too big and that as a result their contact time with the teacher when working towards practical assessment will be radically reduced. We get fabulous students and I don't feel we are providing them with the best service we can. In addition, the extensive AS administration for exams will be very challenging for this number. [​IMG]
    I would love to receive any comments from other Drama teachers.... if for no other reason than to gauge working conditions in other places.
    PS I now teach in a Sports Activities hall and have to book to use the theatre space.... [​IMG]

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

20 in an A-level class is not unknown or unreasonable really.

4. I'm not entirely sure that the issue here is class sizes is it? I agree that 20 in a class is not unusual, not ideal, but managable.
    What I read from the original post is the workload of teaching all AS or A2 is difficult?

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Oh.... I was influenced by the thread title of 'class sizes'....

6. Definitely got the impression from this that it was about class sizes. I agree that 20 isn't unusual. I usually get about 12-15 which I think is ideal but I know a lot who do go up to 20.

I agree that it would be easier to split the teaching of each year group between you to balance the workload. As HoD, I designate who teaches what and how the classes are split. Did you not get to make that decision? I don't know whether our school is unusual in that or whether it's normal procedure to give that decision to HoD.

7. Thanks for your comments[​IMG]