1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class sizes - how big are yours?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FairyHoneyPeaches, Nov 26, 2015.

?

What is your average class size

1. Fewer than 10 pupils

9.1%
  2. 10 -20 pupils

36.4%
  3. 20-30 pupils

36.4%
  4. More than 30 pupils

18.2%
  1. FairyHoneyPeaches

FairyHoneyPeaches Occasional commenter

I work in a girls independent boarding school and have average classes of about 12 girls, often fewer than that. What is your average class size?

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

My class is small - 13 children. However they are mixed year 1 and reception with nursery thrown in for added interest!! :)

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I work in an independent school and have 20 children in my class. I voted 10-20 in the poll because I had 10 last year.

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I work in a girls indie, largest is 11; smallest -1. Last year (in an academy/grammar), 32 x 10 at KS3, less at GCSE and A-levels.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

30. Never less, except for a very small crossover when one leaves before the new one starts.

6. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Smallest - 16 pupils (bottom set Y7 and bottom set Y11).
    Largest - 34 pupils (top set Y10). Fortunately they're a fantastic bunch, but it's still a squeeze to fit them all in the classroom!

The majority are around the 25 mark though.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

mixed age yr 5/6 class

8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

My last school was the sort that had a significant proportion of transitory students, so casual entrants were the norm. In September, we would start off with between, say, 26 and 28 students in each class; by October this would have crept up to 32 - 33. By Xmas, some KS 3 classes had over 35 students. True, some left but more seemed to come than go. Sometimes, I would get to the bottom of a page in my mark book, as students had come and gone. Working in labs, large classes were a problem: small groups of students carrying stools from one lab to another was the beginning of many lessons.

9. MrS_1983

MrS_1983 New commenter

I would say my average is around the 28 mark. I love the atmosphere of a bigger class! Providing they all get involved it can be great!