1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class sizes at ks2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by harrybo1, Mar 25, 2011.

1. We are up to 38 children in our year 3 , primary class. It appears there are no legal limits on numbers but does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can support an argument to our local authority to restrict our numbers from increasing further?

2. I thought the legal limit was 30?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Not in KS2

4. Only for infants.
    No limit for KS2.
    The only limits relate to haelth and safety fire code legislation as to floor space per child but I am not sure what the limit is.
    I have 34 in a small room and 36 in a maths set.

5. I am up to 35. Think the class size is just too big. Class has varying needs with 20 sen chn three with adhd and autism, and four with behavioural problems and only have a ta in the morning.
    Don't understand how i can give all those children the best education with so many and so many problems.
    I think the legal limit should be 30 in all key stages.

6. Our PAN number is 102 per year group. What is yours? You should be able to refuse children above that unless they are statemented or looked after children.
    Or are children getting in on appeal to the local authority?

7. I honestly didn't know that. I'm a NQT in a Junior School and we only except 30 per class. I had a maths set of 33 at one point but complained to my head of year as I didn't have enough chairs for them all and a few were quickly moved to different sets.

How on earth do you fit that many children into one classroom? I've obviously taken for granted how lucky I am with my class size.

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

We are gradually reducing our KS2 classes to 30 - I've had 36 in my maths set most years. It's only a few less, but it seems to make a big difference to the marking workload and the amount of time you have for each pupil. We have some KS1 classes above 30 at the moment following appeals.
    I always felt angry when the government made announcements about having reduced class sizes to 30 - they never seemed to make it clear that there was no such limit for KS2 classes, or recognise the need for such a limit. Weird.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Surely, accept ...

10. Please don't pick on me :( my spelling is awful I know....my children love pointing it out to me. I was honest from the start and told them that and in a school situation I would of thought harder about that before I wrote it.

11. I was in 6th form before I learnt when to use an and when to use a. My friend told me the rule and it has stuck ever since. How I got through education that long without knowing I do not know. However, my year 3 children do know the difference as I taught them the rule.

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Have you taught them about "would have" too?

13. I'm leaving this feed before I get anymore abuse. Yes I should of typed would have not would of. Yes my children do know that. Literacy is not my strongest area and I have to think about everything before I show it to my children but I always make sure I do. On here I just type and post. I think it is sad sometimes that people can't join in on a forum because people pick up on the way they write things. I am fantastic at maths but I find it very hard to teach for that very point, with Literacy I have an understanding of my children find things difficult.

14. should have!!!!

15. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What sort of daft number is that? Not your fault at all of course. But how on earth can you make anything other than 3 classes of 34? 4 classes of 25/26 wouldn't be financially viable.

Our PAN number is 60...works beautifully! 2 form entry all the way through.

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our PAN is 15[​IMG]

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

wish I could do smileys on google chrome...I'd do a tongue poking out one!

But then you must have mixed age classes...I quite like the 2 form entry. But then I have a fab year team partner, might feel differently if I didn't.

I think a perfect PAN would be about 28, enough for a whole class, but never all that huge.

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have mixed yr 5/6 with 12 year 6's and 17 yr 5's ( we broke PAN that year!) We set across KS2 for maths and english so have 26 for maths and 30 for english, certainly wouldn't want any more than that!

19. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Our PAN is 18 which potentially give us 36 in a mixed year class. Not ideal. However, we rearely fill year groups and out KS2 classes are 17, 23 and 17. Lucky us!!
    We are heading for a large deficit though but the kids get lots of attention

20. With large classes the marking is killing but the biggest issue I always had was hearing children read. When I had a class of 39 children I would need to hear 8 children read per day just to listen to them once. Those children with IEP's would need it more often. The school didn't have a guided reading scheme either !