1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class sizes at A2 in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Petite Joueuse, Sep 11, 2010.

1. I am trying to see if my class is the biggest! I have 22 pupils at A2 (French). Can anyone match that or beat it?
    Also, anyone know of any research on how large class sizes impact on pupil attainment at this level?
    (Must go an mark another 22 essays.....)

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Ouch! Having gone from 8 to 4, I can already see the improvement this will have on student involvement and speaking skills.
    Bonne chance - je te plains du fond du coeur!! [​IMG]

3. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Perhaps you shojuld not set essays....simply ask them to do plans for essays....

4. Wow, I'd say that was a big class for any subject at A2, but for MFL, it's amazing. I'm very impressed at the enthusiasm for languages at your school/college! Incidentally, what type of school/college do you teach at? I was one of 5 students for AS French that then reduced to 3 at A2, but that was at a bog standard state comprehensive with a small sixth form.

5. Well, currently had 28 enrolled on AS German this year and in two groups and last year, it was 27 doing AS French, again in two groups. I couldn't imagine an A2 class that big will all the marking and it poses a problem when students have to have different Speaking topics?

A few years back, I taught two GCSE French classes in the same academic year - both top sets doing French and German. They both had lessons period one with me. Same teacher - the only variable was one had 14 students and one had 27. The results were unsurprisingly different. One class with B/A/A*s and all students on or above FFT target. The larger class was mainly C/B/As with a couple of A*s - on or below target. Think that proves your point!

GL

6. In French we went from two groups of 12 to one group of 19 which then reduced further to 16 after AS results. We only do the oral in Y12 unless students are not sure about carrying on. Our written paper for these few students was seriously lower than the oral. Getting scripts to see why.

Spanish went from 8 to 5

7. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

22 is a huge group for A2. We have 26 at AS in two groups this year, one of 16, one of 10. At A2 we have two groups, one of 6, one of 9. Our timetabler has kept French in two option blocks which helps us a bit with numbers, no doubt.
    I'm sure you have made the point that the students would do better in two groups and that group size should be taken intio account when your results are analysed.

8. Well it looks like the 22 is soon to become 23!
    I have argued until I am blue in the face - all I get is a blanket acceptance that this is the way it is.

9. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

That's what happens in academies. Perhaps you should ask the parents to express their feelings in writing to the Head and local press.

10. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

In our school we have AS groups in maths and science up to 25+. At A2 they can be around 20. I don't think we have a special case in MFL. My science colleagues are right to moan about class size - lots of marking, problems with practical work etc.
    Our school stays in the black because of large A-level classes. That's the reality today. At least the situation is better than in France!

11. Nickyga

Nickyga New commenter

My most miserable year ever was when they combined upper and lower 6th and I had to teach both at the same time ( 16 lower 6th plus 6 upper 6th). Here in Australia if you have less than 10 in your class you have to cross mark with another school so I am currently marking 24 scripts all the time ( 3 schools together)
    bonne chance

12. It gets better....
    Current estimates for September: 30 pupils for French A2!!!!
    So if I spend 5 mins per pupil marking their essays etc. that equates to....2 and a half hours or marking just for A2!! HELP[​IMG]

13. In my school, 26 students have definitely signed up for AS German but Senior Management is not prepared to have two sets. It is likely that they'll cap it at 17. I can't believe somebody who wants to do German at A Level cannot do so because places are restricted.....

14. I would love to know how you get such fabulous numbers - am I missing something? We have the issue of classes not running because of low numbers! Do you have a huge GCSE uptake? Are languages optional at KS4?

15. No, languages are not optional for us at KS4. All pupils must do at least one, languages - a fair number choose to do two.
    At KS4 we have around 50 entries for each of the 3 languages we offer (French, German and Spanish). That means two classes for each language.
    At AS this year we have had two classes of French and Spanish, but only one of German. It does vary from year to year.
    I don' t think we have any magical formula - it is good to see potential medics/scientists taking a language as an extra/light relief from the rest of their subjects.
    As for persuading them to study overseas - well it hasn't happened yet, but watch this space!!

16. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

We had two straight A grade students who applied to university to do medicine - student 1 did Sciences with German, student two did straight Science. Student 1 got offers of places (some without the need for an interview) and accepted a place, student 2 did not get any offers at all.
    So when will the people who guide sixth formers when they enter the sixth form in their choice of subjects sit up and take notice?
    Sadly next year we have not been allowed to run French due to low numbers, German hopefully will run with a small class. Fortunately the top students want to do German and rather than lose them to a sixth form college rival, the course can run.

17. I could echo what you say about medics who can offer a language as well. Our AS Germanists take part in our German exchange and we manage to get them 3 or 4 days of work experience, with GPs, and in hospitals. This work experience "in a foreign language" is always raised and talked about in their interviews for med school.
    I am hoping that more and more of our young people (and their parents!) will seriously see European universities as viable alternatives to our £9000 a year fees.

18. That depends on the A-Levels studied, the subject applied for at university and the federal government concerned.

19. As I said, depends on what you want to study. If you get the "fachgebundene Hochschulreife" in Germany, you have similar restrictions when choosing a subject.
    What they want is 4 subjects - three at A2 - including a language and either maths or science. Anything else depends on the subject you want to do at uni.
    It would possibly be easier to go somewhere else but Germany,...or to do the IB instead of A-Levels.

20. Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the fachgebundene Hochschulreife... It's not very common here, as you can get the Allgemeine Hochschulreife by studying a second MFL, and many people do that. Actually, I know lots of people with Fachhochschulreife, but not a single person who has a fachgebundene Hochschulreife.... And if you do the IB, then you also have to check the German restrictions :D.