1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class size KS1

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by helhan68, Sep 1, 2011.

1. I am about to start my first headship and have over 30 children in two KS1 classes-am I right in thinking I need to change this by creating another class? (ie 3 classes of 21/22) and if so, how do I pay for it (small school, small budget etc etc)there isn't enough in the budget to recruit another teacher.

Thanks

2. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

Yes, it's currently "illegal" to have a ks1 with more than 30 pupils per qualified teacher. How did this hapen? If you can't afford a third class some of the year 2s in a year 3 class as a mix; this can be over 30 as long as the year 2s don't make up the majority.

There was a rumour that our new gvmt was getting rid of the 30 rule!

Hope this helps.

3. It could be the result of admission or SEN appeals. There are exceptions to the 30 limit. However, if the LA has sanctioned or been forced by virtue of an Appeal the "extra" children, then they should be providing funding for the additional teacher.