1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class size for September

Discussion in 'Primary' started by elizabeth1972, Jul 23, 2011.

1. 39 at last count.... and the possibility of 3 more confirming over the summer holidays.
    Can anyone beat that?!

2. 17...but that's probably not what you wanted to hear [​IMG]
    I do know someone who's teaching 43 every afternoon though.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends on the size of the room! I know someone who's only got 15 but really only room for about 12 desks. So once children are sat down at their 15 (very squished together) desks, children can hardly move!

4. 39 is against guidelines. Key Stage 1 is meant to be limited to 30. Unfortunately these ARE only guidelines, so cannot be legally upheld.

5. Not quite - Currently 36
    BUT - Year 6 so huge marking pressures and in SM school and expecting extras in September as every year we have children moving into our school to get into good secondary nearby........
    So could be .... (Hope not!)

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No 30 pupils to a single teacher (TAs not included) is the legal limit for KS1 not guildelines and can be legally upheld, but there is technically no upper limit in KS2 (governed by school PAN and size of classroom)

7. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

Just finished (HOORAY!) several afternoons of 39 Y4, including 2 headcases, 1 potential headcase and no TA.

8. Yes, sorry you are right. I thought OP was in Year 2 but that must have been another thread.
    You can tell it's holiday time, I can't concentrate.

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You say that as though it is a bad thing. Children who can't move around sounds rather inviting to me!

10. Lara mfl 05

Problem 1 When the Teacher can't get to them to help, mark etc.
    Problem 2 occurs when one child needs to go to the toilet!

11. Can't beat 39!
    Have a very comfortable 28 in a good sized / lovely room and know how very fortunate I am. [​IMG]

12. It's a Y3/4/5/6 class. Quite a good sized room, but it's still going to be a squash. I was told that the KS1 limit of 30 is a legal maximum, which is why so many have been shunted up to me.
    I only had 24 in the same sized room this year, so it's going to be a bit of a shock in September!

13. My first class was in a room that was far too small for the number of children I was given. The school was open plan and there was lots of shared spaces, but things had just swung back to whole class teaching again and it wasn't a good use of the space). I kept all my equipment outside the classroom, inc their trays etc and still didn't really have room for all their tables. There was no feasible way that the whole class could stand up together at any one time and I now cringe at the thought....what if there had been an emergency?
    The only way I could fit them all in and still get to them to help them with their work was to line the walls with tables so they sat facing the wall while they were working. I then had a group of tables in the middle. It meant that I could get to each child to see over their shoulders and if they looked up from their work all they had in front of them was wall...come to think of it, that part was quite nice.
    I now have a HUGE classroom and have 28 kids. There isn't the pressure on spaces in our area like some, so classes don't go over 30. In fact for many years there was such a thing as a Key Stage 2 grant from the county which you didn't get if you had more than 30 on your register. It didn't stop me having 32 one year, they just trotted off to another class to register then came back to me to be taught. I riled me that it was not good enough to have that many to register, but it was ok for me to have to teach that many on a daily basis.
    Grrrrr. When will the govt understand that children benefit from smaller classes?
    I loved the clip from Saturday Night Armistace that played on this that I saw a few years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGvo7TPN67A

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have 25 this year, a nice number to have! I once had 35 in a KS1 class, the Head thought it was OK as I had a teaching assistant too ( R/1/2) until the SIP came in and played holy war!!!!

15. Lara mfl 05

Just thinking back in my NQT, back in the days of yore, I was merrily teaching German to year 8s in a Middle school. Now as the children moved up to High School in Y9 it didn't make sense to me to ask new children to start German so late when they would probably be able to continue with their French when they moved up. So when a new child started they were given to me and I had a French tablein one corner of the class & taught as & when German students were completeing written work. Being new to teaching it never occurred to me to think about numbers & it wasn't till one day when the Deputy Head asked 'Do you know how many children in this class?' and we counted. 42! Couldn't believe how I had been coping.

16. surely it depends on the pupils! 2 years ago, I taught 32 who were a dream, last year 30 who I couldnot relax with for 1 minute.

17. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Definitly! My 6.5 (bottom set) maths group were worse than the 30 in my class this year and there was only 9 of them!

18. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I will have 30 again next year but with 6.2 English and 6.2 Maths about 30 in a set! :( the marking will kill me!!

19. I've got 26 at the moment with the possibility of it dropping to 25 by September and maybe 24 at some point during the year. But 6 of them are EAL, 1 has a statement (not sure how many hours 1 to 1 yet) and there is a 1b to 3b level spread. And they already have a reputation for being terrible to cover staff and hard to handle.
    Going to be an interesting class for my NQT year [​IMG]

20. Superb! Thank you for that - may try to introduce it at my inset in September :)