1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class size exceptions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by please_misss, May 30, 2012.

1. For Sep 2012 I have been informed that the county council have insisted that my reception class accepts 31 pupils. Under the new March 2012 framework I read on p 20 that there is a limit of 30 per class teacher. The council have come back and stated p 20 section 2.15 of the 1st of Feb documents allows them to make exceptions. I cannot seem to find this evidence, can anyone clarify or advice me further please???

2. For Sep 2012 I have been informed that the county council have insisted that my reception class accepts 31 pupils. Under the new March 2012 framework I read on p 20 that there is a limit of 30 per class teacher. The council have come back and stated p 20 section 2.15 of the 1st of Feb documents allows them to make exceptions. I cannot seem to find this evidence, can anyone clarify or advice me further please???

3. Surely the March document over rides the Feb document anyway? Haveyou tried google?
    Wren

4. Found this:

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

draft STATUTORY INSTRUMENTS

2012 No. 0000

eDUCATION, england

The School Admissions (Infant Class Sizes) (England) Regulations 2012

Made - - - - ***

Laid before Parliament ***

Coming into force - - 1st February 2012

The Secretary of State for Education makes the following Regulations
    in exercise of the powers conferred by sections 1 and 138(7) of the School Standards
    and Framework Act 1998(<a name="_ftnref1">[1][/URL]):

Citation, commencement, and application

1.&mdash;(1) These Regulations may be
    cited as The School Admissions (Infant Class Sizes) (England) Regulations 2012 and
    come into force on 1st February 2012 subject to paragraph (2).

(2) Paragraph 4 of the Schedule to these
    Regulations applies in relation to infant classes in maintained schools in England in
    relation to the 2013-2014 school year and subsequent years.

Interpretation

2.&mdash;(1) In these Regulations&mdash;

[2][/URL]);

&ldquo;SSFA 1998&rdquo; means the School Standards and Framework Act 1998;

&ldquo;admission school year&rdquo;, in relation to a pupil in an infant class at a
    school, means the school year in which the pupil was first admitted to that class;

&ldquo;admission to the school&rdquo; means admission to an infant class in a maintained
    school;

&ldquo;child with a statement&rdquo; means a child in relation to whom a statement is
    maintained by a local authority under section 324(1) of EA 1996(<a name="_ftnref3">[3][/URL]);

&ldquo;suitable education&rdquo;, in relation to a child, means efficient full-time
    education suitable to the child&rsquo;s age, ability, and aptitude and any special education
    needs that child may have.

(2) For the purposes of these Regulations
    a child is to be treated as having been admitted to a school outside a normal admission
    round where paragraph (3) or (4) applies.

(3) This paragraph applies where, at the
    time the child was admitted to the school, that child did not fall within an age
    group in which pupils are normally admitted to that school.

(4) This paragraph applies to a child where&mdash;

at
    the time of that child&rsquo;s admission to the school, the child fell within an age group
    in which pupils are normally admitted to the school;

the
    number of pupils in that age group seeking admission to the school in the admission
    school year was greater than the number of pupils which the admission authority
    intended to admit to the school in that age group in that year; and

the
    child was offered a place at the school after the time when the admission authority
    had determined, in accordance with the school&rsquo;s admission arrangements, which children
    in that age group were to be admitted to the school.

Regulations revoked

3. The following
    Regulations are revoked&mdash;

the
    Education (Infant Class Sizes) (England)
    Regulations 1998(<a name="_ftnref4">[4][/URL]);

the
    Education (Infant Class Sizes) (England)
    (Amendment) Regulations 2006(<a name="_ftnref5">[5][/URL]).

Limit on infant class sizes

4.&mdash;(1) Subject to paragraph (2)
    no infant class may contain more than 30 pupils while an ordinary teaching session
    is conducted by a single school teacher.

(2) Where an ordinary teaching session
    is conducted by more than one school teacher, the class may not contain more than
    30 pupils for every one of those teachers.

(3) Where an infant class contains any
    excepted pupil (as defined by regulation 5), the limits in paragraphs (1) and
    (2) apply as if the excepted pupil were not included in the class.

Excepted pupils

5.&mdash;(1) An excepted pupil is a child
    to whom any of the paragraphs 2 to 11 of the Schedule applies.

(2) A child is not to be an excepted pupil
    if suitable education could be provided for that child in an infant class at that
    school without relevant measures having to be taken.

(3) In paragraph (2) &ldquo;relevant measures&rdquo;
    means measures which would&mdash;

be
    required to be taken to ensure compliance with the duty imposed by section 1(6)
    of SSFA 1998, and

prejudice
    the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of resources.

<hr align="left" />

[1]) 1998 c.31; section 1 was amended by the
    Education Act 2002 (c 32), section 215(1) Schedule 21, paragraph 87; and S.I
    2010/1158, Schedule 2, Part 1, paragraph 10(1) and (2).

[2]) 1996 c.56.

[3]) Section 324(1) was amended by S.I 2010/1158,
    Schedule 2, Part 1, paragraph 7(1) and (2).

[4]) S.I 1998/1973 as amended by S.I. 2006/3409,
    S.I.2008/3089, and S.I. 2010/1172.

[5]) S.I 2006/3409

5. I've just looked at the March 2012 Framework document (downloaded it) and it clearly states in point 3.37 that reception classes should be no more than 30 pupil per school teacher.
    I can;t see where the council have got that info from - it is wrong.

6. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

I'm sure there is a clause that if the LA have made a mistake in placing the child, then the 30 kids rule can be broken, but they can only stay in the class for up to the end of the year, and may have to be moved the next year if there are not sufficient places once they get into Y1.

7. Beware the semantics of the word "should". If it doesn't say "must" you may be stuffed!! Sorry.
    Just attended our LA HT's training on the new EYFS and that there was a difference between the implications of these two words was pointed out. (I'm not a HT, my HT is in Spain with the Y6's!)

8. The document quoted above says (in section 1(2)) that it applies for the year 2013-14 and subsequent years - not this September.

9. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

It's a shame you can't ask your Headteacher this question, don't you trust what they say? If not, then perhaps your Union would have the answer.
    To the best of my knowledge there are exceptions, such as twins or multiple births, children who have just moved into the area for whom there is no other school and one or two others I can't remember now.

10. Exceptions can be made for children with SEN. I always thought this was daft. Surely a larger class would not be the best for these chidren.

11. In my school we are faced with up to 39 reception children starting in Septemeber. The head seems to think this is ok. There will be one teacher, me and 2 LSAs. While the LSA's do a great job they are not teachers and do not have the paper work or responsiblitiy. My head has implied that if I do make a fuss, someone else where in school will loose a job. We have had falling numbers for the last few years and having 39 in reception is a chance to rectify the situation. I feel like she has me over a barrel. Any advice?

12. It's really unfair to put you in that position. It wouldn't be your fault if someone lost their job. It's also unfair on the children - they have a right to a teacher per 30 children. Is it worth speaking to your union? Or do you have a nursery teacher or year 1 teacher that you could somehow split the class and share with?

13. louisea

louisea New commenter

I have had 31 children in my reception class since Feb.
    The LA can issuse 'special circumstances' where you HAVE to accept extra children. This probably still stands whatever has changed with EYFS. If children moved 3 doors down from school (in my case) or SEN kids.
    A school near us will also have 31 children after admissions failed to offer BOTH twins a place!!! lol
    Lou

14. frustum

frustum Star commenter

DId they determine which was offered the place by asking which one's bed is nearer the school?
    (Or was it the pair born a few years ago either side of midnight on 31st Aug/1st Sept? I think the LA did say that they would allow them to be in the same year.)

15. Ive also been told that we will have 31 pupils in 2 out of 3 of the reception classes in my year. The 2 extra pupils both were awarded places on appeal. I was wondering if any one can tell me what staffing/resources their school/Heads have offered Recepetion staff? Both classes have a teacher and full time TA. Im hoping to suggest some extra TA support for periods during the day? Can anyone suggest any other alternatives?
    Appreciate your help.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm afraid your head doesn't have to provide anything extra and most won't in these circumstances.