1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class rules

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Jan 1, 2019.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I'm starting my first teaching job next week,taking over from another teacher in KS2. Would you spend a while getting the children's input on class rules and putting them on the wall or should I just tell them what I expect and then get on with the lessons trying to keep everything as much to timetable as possible as it's part way through the year?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As it's partway through th year I'd definitely stick to the School's policy and the 'normal' rules from the previous teacher. Make as smooth a transition as possible, so the class start to accept you.
    Good luck!

JohnJCazorla, Pomza and minnie me like this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Assume there is a Code of Conduct ? and the children far more familar with how it works than you ! Consistency is key. No time for time wasting soooo just get in and teach them .....

Pomza likes this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Agree with Lara. I think it's a really important thing to do at the start of a year, especially with KS2, but at this point you want the transition to be as smooth and stress-free as possible for everyone. If you do have any issues, you might want to set aside a short time to have a look at the class rules/values and ask them why these particular rules were chosen and do they want to add one more to enable everyone to achieve their best learning - hopefully you won't need to do this. Good luck with your new class!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grasshopper2000

Ok. Thank you. That's what I was initially thinking, then began to think I was wrong.
    As far as I'm aware there aren't already any on the wall to refer to.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Just because there aren't any on the wall doesn't mean to say that there isn't a 'School Policy' one which everyone adheres to.

minnie me likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

I think it would worth while to spend half an hour on this - get them to tell you what the rules are then discuss why they are important etc. That way they know that you know the rules!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

I was actually thinking that as I wrote my above post and would probably include a 'Circle Time/ PSHE activity to do just that.

Marshall likes this.
  9. grasshopper2000

Excellrnt idea about circle time. Thank you.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

What are the existing rules?
    Make sure the children know them.
    Make sure they know you know them too.
    Stick to them. Even if the children challenge them and claim that their previous teacher didn’t enforce that one - stick to them.

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For your very first teaching job you need to set out your stall and show them you mean business. Assuming they are a nice class in a great school, you could probably do something like 'these are my rules, why do you think I chose them?' And for the 'rules' just have things like:
    Treat people kindly
    Work hard
    If you want a display then you could have those in the centre of a piece of A3 paper and get the class to add ideas as to how they can show they are following the rules around the edge in a spider diagram. (Which is where they add all the nonsense about 'not hitting', 'not shouting out' and so on which they all know already.)

Like others have said, make this short and then get on with the timetable and learning.

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Senior commenter

I do think this is very important - get it right from the start or you will suffer later!!!

13. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Great advice above, now Go break a pencil!o_O

In other words, Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Good idea to ask them!

I think next year I shall just have one rule, written in large letters: BE NICE (or something similar which avoids the weak word ‘nice’). Really, nothing else matters as much as that. I shall expect it of everyone who enters my classroom, including staff and parents.