1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class rule making lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by talulabell, Aug 27, 2012.

1. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I will be teaching Year 6 this year and the first day back on the afternoon i want to do a classrule making session. I just wondered how people do this anyway of making it slightly fun

2. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

I will be teaching Year 6 this year and the first day back on the afternoon i want to do a classrule making session. I just wondered how people do this anyway of making it slightly fun

3. I am going to have strips of paper on each table and each table is going to write six rules they think are important. They are then going to move tables and order them by importance and keep repeating until they have moved around the room. We are then going to decide the top six from the orders and they are going to act out this rule (each table will act out one) and I'm going to take a photo and this will be displayed. The whole school does this in the style of Barbara Kreuger. I have Year 5 and think it gives them good ownership!

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Do they do it the same way in KS1 too?

5. talulabell

talulabell New commenter

Does each table write down their 6? Then each group moves around the other tables ordering them? I am a little confused

6. Have the school rules changed from last year? If not, Year 6s will be well aware of what is acceptable and what is not. There should be a whole school behaviour policy in place so I would just stick with that.
    The problem with class rules is that they are usually in line with the set school expectations so it becomes a pointless task and if they are not in line with school expectations, well that is a problem! There should be the same expectations from room to room and year to year.

7. Yes so the first activity is each table writes down six rules on individual strips that they think are important, and then rotate to another table to order the 6 that the previous group have written down to see if they agree etc. the idea is that the 6 top strips (if not the same) are the 6 we choose! Not sure whether the school does this in KS1 as I'm an NQT but I would imagine they do as most things are school wide. They would almost definitely do the picture rules but not necessarily ordering them as thats just what I am going to do.

8. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

For children at this age they know the usual rules of the classroom so these just need to be reiterated. I have only taught year 5 before but they really enjoyed it when I did a session of "The Perfect Teacher" and "The perfect student" we looked at what they think makes a good teacher and what they think makes a good student and we had a big discussion about the pros and cons of certain things they brought up (a teacher that never gives homework wouldn't really be the best teacher because they are not helping the children to learn" etc). Then from this we looked at roles and responsibilities of being a student in our class, and I also had a list of roles and responsibilities that I had as a teacher.

From that we made a class promise which we all signed, rather than a set of rules. They seemed to take note, and it was nice that I had to promise to do certain things as well so it worked both ways and meant that we had respect. Also meant that when someone was really misbehaving I could take them over to the class promise display and remind them of the rule they have broken and remind them of my responsibilities as teacher and that I could only carry out my responsibilities as a teacher if that child was doing their bit. It really works!

I am in year 1 this year but it is a very difficult cohort that is coming up so I am going to do something similar with them but in a more simple form.