1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class review teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nemsling, Jun 11, 2012.

1. nemsling

nemsling New commenter

For years, I have heard that the strongest and most meaningful assessment of a teacher comes from the students themselves. Finally, I have both the courage and the class (perhaps I shouldn't separate between those!) to complete such an activity....
    Which brings me to the important question! How? I want to try and balance open ended questions with some more close ended things (which subjects did you enjoy, etc) but don't know exactly where to start.I have a group of 19 7ear 6 students in an international school.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I would be VERY grateful for any "don't EVER do..." as well as some things that worked for you if you have done this. Was it useful for you? Is it something you could never ever imagine doing? Do you think the concept is a sensible one? I currently have the kind of class that (i hope) wouldn't abuse the position - actually i have already told them about it, without much detail and they didn't reallymake a fuss at all. perhaps they don't believe me!

Anyway, all thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Naomi Hass

2. nemsling

nemsling New commenter

For years, I have heard that the strongest and most meaningful assessment of a teacher comes from the students themselves. Finally, I have both the courage and the class (perhaps I shouldn't separate between those!) to complete such an activity....
    Which brings me to the important question! How? I want to try and balance open ended questions with some more close ended things (which subjects did you enjoy, etc) but don't know exactly where to start.I have a group of 19 7ear 6 students in an international school.
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I would be VERY grateful for any "don't EVER do..." as well as some things that worked for you if you have done this. Was it useful for you? Is it something you could never ever imagine doing? Do you think the concept is a sensible one? I currently have the kind of class that (i hope) wouldn't abuse the position - actually i have already told them about it, without much detail and they didn't reallymake a fuss at all. perhaps they don't believe me!

Anyway, all thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Naomi Hass

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

No. Why are you doing this? Do you want to hear all the wonderful things your class in a decade will say about you?
    It's also not sensible to identify yourself so clearly on a public forum.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree.

Can't imagine where you have heard such nonsense. Children like teachers for all kinds of reasons, not necessarily because they are any good. And sometimes children dislike teachers who are actually very effective.

So you finally have a class who will be nice about you? Does that mean you haven't been a good teacher until now? No, it just means these children will say nice things and massage your ego. Trying it with a class you are finding very tricky would give you more information about how to get better at teaching.

5. nemsling

nemsling New commenter

it means i haven't been as confident in my classroom until now. I'm not going for an ego boost - see previous sentence! I don't need it. Ones students know more about their teacher and their teaching than anyone else - whether we acknowledge it is one thing, and if we want to draw on that resource is another - and then a further question is how to do it.

Anyway, thank you for your advice.