1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Response System

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Steve-May, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Does anyone out there have experience of using a Response System? We are looking at the feasibility of this. It's where each member of the class holds a wireless response pad for feedback, assessment, engagement purposes? Any pros and cons?

2. Does anyone out there have experience of using a Response System? We are looking at the feasibility of this. It's where each member of the class holds a wireless response pad for feedback, assessment, engagement purposes? Any pros and cons?

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

It's really expensive!!
    If you have laptops you can use software (free) called Socrative for a similar end.

4. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

I use a wireless one, it's called "hands up". Students raise the hand attached to their arm to respond to a question based survey system run by myself.
    Pros:
    - Free
    - Anyone can book out the system, most students have hands
    Cons:
    - Does not record student's answers to a spreadsheet

Sometimes I vary "hands up" by using "move to this part of the classroom". This is also free.

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Maybe it's been a long week but I really did laugh at that.

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I really would save you money and invest it in something else, have had plenty of them at various schools in the past but they largely remain in cupboards gathering dust. Kids love them at first but novelty soons wears off and if you are doing lots of testing with these things then the opportunity cost is that you lose time actually teaching them. I aso found that setting up quizzes was time consuming (promethan activote) and you are better off doing something using your vle, that at least means it gets dumped automatically into your electronic mark book too, well it does for us as we use moodle and hot potatoes to do so. I would also imagine they are plenty of cloud based solutions for this sort of thing now anyway.

7. Classroom management software (eg. ABTutor) can do this easily. Alternatively make a PowerPoint that they can run: they choose the slide with their answer (full colour backgrounds help to spot them quickly).

8. I too have been using Socrative and it is brilliant and free. The setting up time is very short.