1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class reading book - suggestions gratefully received

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clear_air, Feb 16, 2012.

1. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hi All,
    I started my new job in January, and feel like I am slowly geting to grips with it (slowly), and it's all starting to make a bit more sense. As part of my drive to take ownership of the class, and bring together all the different strands of learning, I want to read them a story linked to our English (stories from other cultures) - I have Y5/6 - all boys!!! - and I want to find a stiry that will really inspire them. I'm going to read them War Horse soon (they'll love that), but in the mean time I would love to read them something from another culture, something recent, relevant and will grab their attention.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Hi All,
    I started my new job in January, and feel like I am slowly geting to grips with it (slowly), and it's all starting to make a bit more sense. As part of my drive to take ownership of the class, and bring together all the different strands of learning, I want to read them a story linked to our English (stories from other cultures) - I have Y5/6 - all boys!!! - and I want to find a stiry that will really inspire them. I'm going to read them War Horse soon (they'll love that), but in the mean time I would love to read them something from another culture, something recent, relevant and will grab their attention.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This might put a spanner in your works, but I would choose a story totally not linked to any topic. They get that subject matter for much of the day so tend to appreciate something totally unrelated for sotrytime.

Look on The Book People site and filter the books to get fiction for the age you want and have a look. Your boys will be very different to another class of boys and so a book that works for one class won't necessarily work for yours.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

This is very true - book people is a great idea, thanks. I might look at the book trust too. I feel a bit as if I'm swirling around in a mist of other people's expectations at the moment! I get the impression that 'story time' (for its own sake) is frowned on... Ho hum. New jobs, eh?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Helllooooooo Marlin!
    Not sure that I'm obliged (not sure about anything, tbh!) - but will have a look at those links, thank you x

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

[​IMG]

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

It's ok (now that ofsted's gone! Talk about a baptism of fire!!) - if only I could be convinced I was doing the right thing/in the right way/in he way that's expected! Before I had my children (and spent years at home) I was confident in my ability to be doing things - now I'm not!! I can't quite shake the conviction that I'm getting it wrong somehow - hopefully it'll go eventually!!