1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Reader

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hello I currently teach Y5 - the lower/middle end of Y5 ( i have just started 3 weeks ago in this class)
    and I was wondering what would be a good class reader for them?
    anyone got any suggestions
    Miss H

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Anything by 'Howritz', sorry not sure of spelling. Look on 'The book People' site. My year 5's are mad for them. Should know the author's name though. Sorry

3. Kensuke's Kingdom
    Sheeppig
    Scribbleboy
    Danny Champion of the World
    Groosham Grange

4. Anthony Horowitz is the one you're after, I believe.
    The Keys to the Kingdom by Garth Nix is an excellent fantasy-oriented series they might enjoy.

5. One other that I forgot is the BeastQuest series. I think we had about ten boys dressed as the main character on World Book Day from Ys 3 through to 6.

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Anything by Roald Dahl - James and the Giant Peach is just so much fun to read out loud! I'd read it to any age.
    Michael Morpurgo's great too
    Indian in the Cupboard
    The Children of Green Knowe
    I've always loved reading the Lion, WItch and Wardrobe, too. Again, a book written to be read aloud.
    Looking forward to seeing other suggestions [​IMG]

7. We were saying our favourite authors today as our register response, and I said Roald Dahl, and lots of my children also said they liked him, so I may read one of his

thanks for all the suggestions

Miss H

8. Wreck of the Zanzibar
    Clockwork
    Martin's Mice
    Mercedes Ice

9. The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.

10. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Another recommendation for Clockwork here. I use with my year 5 class as one of our literacy topics and every class so far has loved it. It's got a love story for the girls, and lots of action for the boys :)