1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class reader Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by victimuk, Aug 16, 2018.

1. victimuk

victimuk New commenter

Good morning,

Looking for inspiration for books to read to the whole class during 'storytime'. I have a stock of old favourites but like the idea of reading books from authors that could be unfamiliar to the children.
    I like the idea of collections of short stories too. Anything to capture the imagination, expose to interesting vocabulary and really engage.
    All suggestions welcome, thanks!

2. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

To be a Cat by Matt Haig
    Hamish and the Worldstoppers by Danny Wallace
    The Unlikely Adventures of Mabel Jones by Will Mabbitt

All three were greatly enjoyed by my Year 3 class. All quality, reasonably new texts.

celago22, Lara mfl 05 and victimuk like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

It's a long way from new, and they will definitely know the author, but our Year 3 loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory last year. So much so that their choice of an end-of-term treat was to have a film afternoon (with popcorn) and watch the original film!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you are great at reading aloud, then even familiar books will be a treat for them to listen to.

Mine have loved all the Roald Dahl books, especially the ones with a boy as the main character. We loved comparing the stories while we read them and chatting about George, Charlie, James, etc. as our friends.

The Iron Man by Ted Hughes is also a great book, and very short.

The Midnight Fox (can't remember who by) was loved, but was sad.

Charlotte's Web made me a little tearful; it was my first ever time reading it. My class of boys all said it was me crying which made them cry. Absolutely not the story! (Didn't believe them myself...! :rolleyes:)

Stig of the Dump we found a bit hard going and so gave it up about a third of the way through.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe was enjoyed and we had a fun afternoon making snow in various ways.

victimuk likes this.
  5. victimuk

victimuk New commenter

Good point!
    I think I am overthinking things, putting pressure on myself to read something new or different. As you say, any good story well told will get them hooked.
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

6. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

As Caterpillar said, the way you read can make a book come alive for the children.
    Books I've read recently to Yr3 which I recommend to you include Michael Morpugo's Cool, Dick King Smith's Martin's Mice & Linda Newberry's Lob.

I forgo Roald Dahl books as they're so popular, though I have read them in the past & they were well received, George's Marvellous Medicine & The Twits in particular, Charlotte's Web is good, I have used it as the basis of a literacy unit in the past.

For short reads some of the items in the books by Andy Griffiths are excellent, though you have to know your class really well for items such as 101 Really Disgusting Things & the stories where there is a choice after each section & one choice leads to a very sticky, albeit humorous, end.

victimuk likes this.
  7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My Year 3s absolutely loved Enid Blyton's first 'Famous Five' book. I'm definitely resurrecting that again - I'm back in Year 3 this year after about 5 years in other year groups!