1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class reader for Year 7

Discussion in 'English' started by wormburger, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi, I'm an MFL teacher who is taking on some Year 7 English teaching, due to a collegue leaving suddenly. I have been asked to do one 'reading lesson' a week and am after suggestions as to what would be a good book to read as a class.
    It's a private school so I get the impression they are fairly flexible re schemes of work and so on and therefore it's my choice. I have some ideas but I have no idea whether the things I'm thinking off would be too old or too young. My daughter is only 17 months so I have no idea what Year 7 read! They are a mixed ability all girl group. I was thinking about 'Matilda', as it was a favourite of mine, is that too young?
    Thanks for your help x

2. Hi, I'm an MFL teacher who is taking on some Year 7 English teaching, due to a collegue leaving suddenly. I have been asked to do one 'reading lesson' a week and am after suggestions as to what would be a good book to read as a class.
    It's a private school so I get the impression they are fairly flexible re schemes of work and so on and therefore it's my choice. I have some ideas but I have no idea whether the things I'm thinking off would be too old or too young. My daughter is only 17 months so I have no idea what Year 7 read! They are a mixed ability all girl group. I was thinking about 'Matilda', as it was a favourite of mine, is that too young?
    Thanks for your help x

3. I think Matilda is a bit young for them. Have you spoken to their main English teacher, to make sure there's no overlap? Maybe something that would support the SOW? I'll post again with some ideas once my brain gets into gear- I've spent so long focusing on year nine boys reading today, I can't get my head around year seven girls

4. Reicheru

Reicheru New commenter

Hi
    You could try Skellig by David Almond, The Ruby in the Smoke by Phillip Pullman, or The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. They all provide lots of opportunities to infer/deduce etc as you go along and lots of opportunities for spin-off activites on various themes. Hope that gives you some ideas :)
    Good luck!

5. PML79

PML79 New commenter

Abomination by Robert Swindells - very accessible to all abilities raises some very good discussions on bullying.

Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo - Links to History, empathetic spin-offs galore