1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class reader for SEN nurture group.

Discussion in 'English' started by the night owl, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I teach English and extra literacy lessons to a year 9 nurture group. I am looking for a class reader that will grab the attention of the class particularly the boys. This year at the beginning fo year 9 I did Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan and the class loved it. Two even bought the book themselves, great for kids i normally have to brow beat into reading. This book went down with the class loads better than the book we did in Englis lessons, Skellig. They liked it but were not wanted to read all the time in lessons like with Cirque
    For next year I am looking to add another class reader. I have thought about I am number Four Pictus Lore or The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins. Both are action packed and will have a film version on DVD eventually.
    Has anyone tried these with a class or small group yet?
    Or has anyone got any other suggestions
    Regards Night Owl x

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. What about private Peaceful, you can do some lovely tactile, arty types tasks based on that novel. Or War Horse if it is a heavy boy class, you could get theatre clips pf youtube and a take them to see the film I think it is due out pretty soon. If they liked DS novels he has got a whole load of other books out that they might like (quite gory-my kids loved them!) or the Young Bond books are quite popular and well written, Alex Rider books. Sorry can't think of anymore apart from the obvious drivel that we might use.