1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class novels - Years 4 to 8

Discussion in 'English' started by bookworm78, Jun 19, 2019.

1. bookworm78

bookworm78 New commenter

I'm looking to update/change some of the class readers we are currently using in school (mixed gender) I have found some old threads on here, but I'm just wondering whether anyone has used anything new/different/unusual with any of these year groups that they would recommend? I'm very conscious that lots of schools use the same texts year on year, and whilst I have nothing against the classics, I feel that there is a wealth of excellent new literature out there for children that we're not really tapping in to. Any suggestions for successful texts that aren't the usual, Holes, Striped Pyjamas, Kensuke's Kingdom, Skellig etc, would be gratefully received.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I would recommend any of the Carnegie medal winners, for year 7+:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_Medal_(literary_award)

I run a book club, and my students have read several from the list. They loved Salt to the Sea.

rachelsays likes this.
  3. rachelsays

rachelsays New commenter

I completely agree with @blueskydreaming - I read the Carnegie shortlist every year with my students and have always found at least one new suitable class reader in the list. This year's wasn't up to the usual standard but Things a Bright Girl Can Do was a universal favourite - about the suffragette movement (though it is sexually explicit in places so probably only for year 8 and up).

I also go and have a regular browse in the YA section of bookshops. This keeps me aware of what's current and I've found a good few new books to teach that way too. One I discovered last year was Pax by Sara Pennypacker, which is fabulous, and perfect for Year 7 or 8.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I recently bought a ton of books to add to my classroom library for the purpose of adding diversity. If you'd like me to send titles, PM your email. Some great reads I've gotten through already including George and R is for Rebel.

5. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

Wed Wabbit is brilliant.

blueskydreaming likes this.