1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class novels Year 3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shelleycat, Feb 4, 2012.

1. I'm looking for ideas for a Year 3 class novel. Does anyone have any tried & tested novels their class have enjoyed?

2. smallschool

smallschool New commenter

Last term our over-arching topic was space and we read 'Cosmic' and 2 Stephen and Lucy Hawkins space/science books which were really popular. This term its the Victorians so we are reading 'Mill Girl' I always try to choose something that will be beyond their own reading ability so that they are stretched by it, they really love oue class books.

3. Varjak Paw was hugely popular with my 3/4 class (all abilities) - lots of inference developing possibilities, lovely descriptions and great black and white illustrations that they responded really well to. I loved it too!

4. Agree we've just done VJP by SF Said - children loved it opportunity for hot seating, lots of drama, conscience alleys and there's a mini reading journal on the Power of Reading web site - together with lots of other ideas for good books. We are also doing the Jellicle Ball dance from Cats and plenty of ICT looking up Mesopotamia for instance.

5. Hi its not really a novel but its a great story picture book (the pictures are just as important as the text as they conjure up great opportunities for drama) called Rose Blanche by Ian McEwan. Its basically the story of a young girl in a small village during ww2 who comes acrooss a concentration camp. It sounds really heavy but honestly its so beautifuly written and nothing is specifically said, we draw our own conclusions.

6. Def recommend VJP and its sequel. other than that mine loved The Tale of Despereaux by Kate deCamillo when we did it.

7. That's great. Thank you.

8. Any Roald Dahl. My children especially loved 'The Giraffe, the Pelly and Me' and 'George's Marvellous Medicine'.
    Have also read Jacqueline Wilson's 'Cliffhanger' this year, which the kids loved, especially as it uses words like stupid! [​IMG]