1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Novel for Year 6 - Suggestions/Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missblack86, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, i'm looking for a new class novel for my boy heavy year 6's.
    This year they have loved The Demon Headmaster and Cirque Du Freak and we're now looking for a new read for the Summer term.
    I dont want to read anything that has recently been released as a film (have previously read stormbreaker) or anything they are likely to have read independently (Harry Potter, Room 13 etc.)
    Does anyone have any suggestions of boy friendly books that might be a great class read? They love horror and mystery stories but i'm open to suggestions!

Any advice appreciated :)

2. Hi everyone, i'm looking for a new class novel for my boy heavy year 6's.
    This year they have loved The Demon Headmaster and Cirque Du Freak and we're now looking for a new read for the Summer term.
    I dont want to read anything that has recently been released as a film (have previously read stormbreaker) or anything they are likely to have read independently (Harry Potter, Room 13 etc.)
    Does anyone have any suggestions of boy friendly books that might be a great class read? They love horror and mystery stories but i'm open to suggestions!

Any advice appreciated :)

3. ~Always popular - Kensuke's KIngdom, Holes, Street Child, Tyke Tyler

4. <u>Clockwork</u> by Phillip Pullman.
    A fantastic read. Very dark with endless opportunities to pause and discuss what might happen next.
    For the first time in my career, my class actually broke into spontaneous applause when I finished reading this wonderfully gruesome tale[​IMG]

5. Holes by Louis Sachar - I've spent 3 weeks reading with my fairly able Y5 class and we also watched it on DVD this week. I'd never even heard of it but I have thoroughly enjoyed it and the children were gripped. Even the SEN group enjoyed listening to it as it was too tricky for them to actually read. I can't recommend it highly enough.
    My daughter has just found it on Disney Cinemagic and I'm watching the end of it as I type!

6. Sorry, just re-read your post. Yes, it was released as a film in 2003 but the children who had seen it in my class were brilliant and didn't give the game away. They also said they enjoyed the book more than the film and I could have heard a pin drop when we watched it this week.

7. You may wish to consider 'The Shadow Garden' by Andrew Matthews. It is described as 'an atomospheric ghost story in the classic tradition'. Here is a link where you can read an extract from it:
    http://www.usborneonline.org/catalogue/browse.asp?org=PET33639&css=1&cat=1&subject=FF&subcat=FF9%2D13&id=1883
    There is also a set of teacher's notes aimed at teachers of Year 6 classes available here:
    http://www.usborne.com/usborne-for-schools/teachers-notes.aspx
    Good luck in your search to find something suitable.

8. There's a boy in the girls' bathroom-
    The london eye mystery

9. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

May I jump in here? I've been reading Pillipa Pearce's 'The way to Sattin Shore' with my yr6 children but they have found it quite hard going although it is a wonderful story. They are at the higher end of a low ability class and are quite mature children,mainly girls, so I don't want go for something too simple, could anybody suggest a classic for these?

10. Classics I liked at this age: Black Beauty, Peter Pan, Little Women and Jane Eyre (though this would be too long unless you found a simplified, abridged version).