1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class novel for Year 5 to tie in with Victorians topic - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annap3, Jan 23, 2011.

1. annap3

annap3 New commenter

I've used Street Child before but wanted to try something else. Any ideas? I've got a class with 2/3 boys so wanted a book with a male character if possible!

2. Children's version of Oliver twist?

3. I love KAS Quinn's "The Queen Must Die".
    Admittedly the main character is a girl, but she's not remotely fluffy... and one of the other 2 main characters IS a boy. There's a lots of time travel and a mission to stop the Queen being assassinated... great stuff.
    The book is relatively new. The author visited my old school last year as part of the promotion for the book and she was really inspirational.
    C x

4. Lion Boy... fab book used with year 5 before... got naf all to do with Victorians though![​IMG]

5. I've used Black Beauty before - and it was a boy heavy class, who really got into the story, as well as learning a lot about Victorian life. Some of them even cried!

6. annap3

annap3 New commenter

That's brilliant - thank you!
    Will have a look at The Queen Must Die (and Lion Boy as I'm always looking for good class books!)
    Black Beauty would be out for me as I would almost certainly cry. I'm rubbish - I almost wept at the end of both The Butterfly Lion and Kensuke's Kingdom! x

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

That's no reason not to read a story. Should you deny the class a story just because you're a wimp?
    I'm not joking. That is truly pathetic.

8. 'Black Beauty' is in a league of its own and was instrumental in the forming of the RSPCA.
    Otherwise, 'December Rose' by Leon Garfield 'a thrilling tale of deceit, intrigue, espionage and murder, set in the teeming, colourful world of Victorian London.'

9. Have a look at Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman (TV series with Billy Piper a couple of years ago. It's the first of a trilogy, very engaging and good on detail of life in Victorian times.