1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class noise!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by delma, Jan 13, 2010.

1. delma

delma New commenter

I'm doing general supply cover in a school for a few weeks and I would like some advice about class noise!
    A few times this week (especially in KS2) once the children are on task, they start chatting quietly and then get louder and louder. I then have to remind them it's too noisy, but then they just start up again! What techniques do you use to get the class to work quietly. I need something immediate, as I often cover a class in the afternoon (and the threat of losing part of their break tome doesn't really work)
    I have no problem initially getting their attention, it's just whilst they are working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

2. delma

delma New commenter

Any ideas?

3. Perhaps you could focus on rewards rather than sanctions, i.e. praising positive achievements / behaviours. My children love stickers, praise pad notes, mini certificates, the odd sweet and showing their work to peers, other teachers in the school and / or the Head. You don't have to spend a lot, but these sorts of rewards could be powerful.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I give points to the children working quietly. We have a weekly tick sheet where they get ticks for good behaviour.Bit like a star chart but quicker and easier.
    No they don't work quietly for long periods. But when they get too noisy I look around and see who is quietly getting on and say things like 'Wow Jenny is working quietly I'm going to write a tick for her. Thank you Jordan for getting on so quietly there, you are going to get a tick.' Once I have given out 3 or 4 the whole class are quiet.
    I would get the same effect by getting cross and telling them to work more quietly (and sometimes to be honest I do this too, specially when I am cold and tired!) but it is better for me to realise it isn't the whole class that are noisy and tis nice for them to get a reward for being good.

5. Something I've seen an excellent supply/AST teacher do (with KS2) is he has a pad of raffle tickets and hands them out for good behaviour/effort with work etc. At the end of his day he does a prize draw and a few lucky kids win a prize (pencils/rubbers/notepads etc) - the more tickets you get the more chance you have of winning!!! x

6. Sorry! Me again! You could also do a daily version of 'Golden Time'. Start them off with 15 minutes (could use a clock displayed at the front or on the smartboard...) every time they're making too much noise give a reminder/Golden Time warning. Take away one minute if you have to ask again, then back to the reminder again... At the end of the day they get 'free time' for as many minutes as they managed to save. Up to you if they can earn back minutes lost! x

7. If they start to get a bit rowdy, after doing the whole explaining (and modelling) acceptable levels of noise (I usually use the example that they can all hear me in my normal teaching voice and that therefore they can be much quieter to talk to someone on the same table as them), and asking nicely's not provoked results - I explain I'm going to draw three boxes on the board, and then everytime I have to remind them it's got too noisy, I'll put a cross in a box and when they have all three crosses they'll be working in silence for 5 minutes. Usually takes one or two run throughs to silence time before they take the hint by me walking to the board, picking up a pen and starting to draw the boxes ... and the noise level drops!

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I did this when I was a supply teacher and it worked a treat! I ended up getting a job in one school after I did supply there and loads of the kids in the classes I did supply in used to find me in the playground etc and ask when I was doing raffle tickets again - and this was months later! I used to fill a small tin with pencils, rubbers from poundland and also bouncy balls and bits from Tesco in their party bag section :) No prize cost me more than 10-15p and I would only give 3 prizes a day so it was money well spent in my mind!

9. It's really effective - think as a supply you kind of get 'known' for it and the kids are excited to see you again! x

10. Noise monitor - a chart with green/yellow/red and an arrow, as simple or fancy as you like, you could also label "just right", "a bit loud", "too noisy", tied in to a reward. For example, to start with they have to keep in green/yellow for half a day and get 5 mins extra play. Build up to a whole day on green to get a reward if they're doing really well! It makes them much more aware of how much noise they are making, especially as they are working towards something! Helps them to peer monitor each other as well...

11. Raffle tickets definitely work. What I find really works is if you have different coloured signs linked to traffic light colours for different levels of noise e.g whispering, taking, silence etc as in we are .... You put one up at the start of the task and say this is what you expect and the reward for ch following the sign is... and the fine for ch who aren't is. .... i.e losing x points or golden time minutes. Now let me see how well you can follow it etc with immediate praise for those following and an apologetic oh no you're not following the sign I'll have to take away x. Works a treat! As long as you are consistent they soon learn to do whatever is on the sign!

12. I use a range of music to try and keep my chatty maths set quiet.
    "If you can't hear the music, you are too loud"... It's also enjoyable (though they do sometimes laugh at my taste and request pop songs), and can even set a pace. A good buy was "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe" CD, though I also play things like Jack Johnson that are at least a bit relaxing. We even worked merrily along to a Christmas CD in December. It's also good because you just turn it off to get their attention again.
    Hope this is useful... good luck!

13. Ooh I like this one!

14. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

I really like the idea of raffle tickets!! as a trainee teacher I'm always looking for ideas that help with behaviour management!

15. Are you swimming against the tide?
    If the class is used to talking while they work they will find it very hard to change to your way so abruptly.
    Find out what their norm is (from them, their teachers or other staff) and perhaps think about adapting your noise/quiet requirements to something more easily manageable - should make life easier - you'd be nagging them less, they'd be more able to work how you need them to

16. Mitzka

Mitzka New commenter

In my class I don't usually have to do much - the children say I have "a look" haha.
    But otherwise positive reinforcement is the way, I do different things each year:
    * Raffel tickets
    * Free shots - we had a small plastic basketball hoop, if they were awarded a free shot they got to try and get the ball in and if they did they got a small prize - I used this same idea with one of those games where you have to throw the ring onto something which in this case was a plastic pig snout (these were actually quite difficult for the kids and I only gave out about 5 prizes the whole year which were just a few lollies but the kids just love the idea of playing games like tht in class)
    * This year I'm having a bank so will be handing out money
    * Table points - they love being competitive

I have also seen but not used: the traffic light system - red means no talking, orange whispering, green class discussion; noise thermometre - similar concept, etc

17. As I also move from class to class each day, FS up through to yr 6, I find a Best Behaviour Bear works - even for the oder children. He only visits tables that are working quietly. and when he moves onto the next table, the previous table are allowed to mark a table point each. Rewards work much better than sanctions. However, if you find you have those persistent offenders, usually 2 or 3 within each class who love to disrupt the quiet working, then I use the cloud system. I draw an empty cloud on the board and if a child (after 1 warning) still deliberately disturbs the class, then I write the childs name in the cloud. If another child is noisy, I rub out the first childs name and replace it with the other childs name. And so on. The rule is that whoevers name is there at breaktime, misses 5 minutes of break. Its quite surprising how quiet they become.

18. Loving the idea of 'free shots'! I'm going to try this when we get back. Not sure where I'll set it up though.

19. I work in an interantaional school where it is not considered "good practice" to give out material prizes and rewards for good behaviour, as it is expected by all children. But like children anywhere, the 5 and 6 year olds can be noisy too. Two things that I find that work well are having classical music such as Mozart or Baroque concerti playing softly in the background. It is amazing how many children ask for the "quiet music", especially during writing time. The other , is to keep table points. Each work table has its own colour and I give tally mark points (good way to practice tallies with the Kindergartners!) to the tables or individual children on behalf of their table for working quietly or for small acts of kindness. There is a chart on the upper corner of the board where we keep track of point total (they are amazing at number bonds as they figure out how many points they still need, etc.). When the WHOLE class has accumulated 10 (they have to work together as a team to get to 10) points the whole class can have "extra recess" of 10 minutes of outside play. I have used this for years and the children are so excited, even repeated times, for "earning" their extra time together. It encourages the noisy ones too as they learn that they have to work together as a team and it is not always the same "good" children getting the reward. It teaches a good lesson = "we all work together, we all benefit" .

20. A method I use is to stop the class half way through the lesson or when it gets too noisy and ask the children to update me on where they are with their work and read a few out, or get them to read out what they have so far, it calms the noise and also puts those who might have been struggling back on track. I also use a noise-o-meter, it has 3 stick on red buttons if all three get stuck on the noise card the class loose some of their treasures in the pot (the treasures add up to a treat at the end of the term). I also use raffle tickets, the children working hard and quietly get a ticket, they put their name on it and if its pulled out of the hat at the end of the day they get a prize from the tub (just pencils with rubbers, yoyos, bouncy balls etc bought from the market). I hope these help. Good Luck.