1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Management advice...

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by pinkfairy2, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Hi!

What stage do you have? I have p2 and they always want to tell me things or out their hand up. I usually just say put your hand down or I've not asked a question so you can out your hand down just now. I feel quite mean sometimes but we would never get anything done otherwise.

I am finding the same with the noise issues too and it's hard in p2 to get them to work quietly. I have a bell that I ring if it's too noisy which is a signal for them to stop. I do have to ring it often but hopefully it will pay off soon! If you have a young class you could always have a teddy that is looking to reward children who are working quietly.

You could have a TAT (tiny achievable target) too and start of low with something like working quietly for 5 mins and really reward children who do this. Then increase the time slowly. If you have table points you could award tables points for quiet tables which gives you the peer pressure element too. I give a trophy to the table of the week and cushions for them to sit n which they love.

It's hard trying to be positive all the time but most children hopefully respond to it. Last year in my p6 class if they were talking when working and I caught them, they had to have a good reason why. That worked too as they didn't like being asked why in front of everyone.

Hope that helps a bit!

2. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I have p4 its just finding something that works and that is going to work pretty quickly as It is annoying and makes teaching and learning hard work. Thankyou for taking the time to post...I will try the group points idea...we do have this in place in the classroom but mabye I could over use it until they all work well.

3. Make a "no-hands-up" rule and ignore any hands which are up. It'll take some time to get going but does work. You can ask them individual questions -pull names from a jar.

If you have a microphone there's a noise alert you can use which sets off an alarm when they get too loud. You can adjust the sensitivity. I'll post it if I find it again.
    Warn them that if they get too noisy once (or you could give them one chance first) then they will have to work in silence for a period. Enforce this with a punishment for those who talk (again with a warning).

4. Oh good.. It's not just my class that are ridiculousy noisy! I've not come across anything like it[​IMG] It's making me very stressed. Not a nice feeling for me, or them...

5. I have a double sided poster that I hang with a keyring hoop. One side says hands up, the other says no hands up. The children can see straight away what type of lesson it is and (with a little training) they respond well.
    Join the club! My class are very noisy this year. I use a tambourine to get their attention when it gets too noisy. I've used noiseometers in the past, but this year I've been quite hard on them and I've been taking golden time after 2 warnings about chatting because this lot don't sem to respond to anything else. You can make your own noiseometer or get one for the IWB from Fiery Ideas.

6. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher New commenter

I sympathise completely! I've had really chatty classes and it can be so difficult.
    Some things which worked for me:
    Sorry this sounds so obvious, but make sure they know what you expect of them, and what the consequences will be if they do not comply. Try a Circle time and ask the pupils how they feel when 'others' are chatting/noisy. Involve the whole class in suggesting solutions and sanctions. This can be very enlightening and also helps get them on board with your strategies.
    Resist the urge to raise your voice. Use handclaps to get their attention - clap a pattern and have them clap it back to you until all are attending. Then speak calmly and quietly - making them work at listening.
    Wait for quiet. I do this in a range of ways. Stop suddenly after an attention-seeking activity eg handclapping - make them wait for you.
    Say in a loud voice: Oh dear, what a lovely class but they're so noisy! What a shame they'll have to stay in an extra minute/ 5 minutes at break/lunch/end of day/lose Golden time ... etc.
    Once they get the idea that you may keep them an extra minute/5mins etc - make a show of timing each delay, and then taking that time back from them in GT or at break. I have mine sit in silence while I pick up a pile of marking saying: That's fine, I'll wait for you to be quiet, I've plenty of work I can go on with.. This works amazingly well!
    The noiseometer is another I've used. Also, I've put up laminated cards for each table with a number of points on it. I say: You have 10 points and you can keep it by ... eg working quietly for 20mins. Then I rub off some points for noisy tables with a very disappointed 'oh dear, jimmy, you're letting your table down! Peer pressure works wonders!
    Talk time: a reward offered at the end of the day eg 5 mins of free chat. I have a card with 5 -1 in descending order, and a marker which I move down if they are noisy. eg Oh dear, we've lost one minute of talk time. Or, just a disappointed look at the offender(s) and move it. The rest of the class will hopefully respond positively and get the idea of working more quietly/listening to the teacher etc.
    These are a few of the things I find have worked over the years. Once they see you mean business, and that they are the ones who will miss out in some way, they soon get the idea that they have to settle down quickly.
    Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.