1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class change

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by nicky510, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I am a Foundation Phase teacher in a small school, I have been there for nearly 6 years now, I teach N and R in the morning and Yr 1, 2 and R in the afternoon, I am now in a situation where I can change classes to a Year 3 and 4 class in September, not sure what to do, either continue developing Foundation Phase knowledge or challenge myself with a new aspect. Also it's our pre inspection year next year. I just feel I want my own class rather than part sharing. Any ideas on what I should do?
    Thanks

2. I am a Foundation Phase teacher in a small school, I have been there for nearly 6 years now, I teach N and R in the morning and Yr 1, 2 and R in the afternoon, I am now in a situation where I can change classes to a Year 3 and 4 class in September, not sure what to do, either continue developing Foundation Phase knowledge or challenge myself with a new aspect. Also it's our pre inspection year next year. I just feel I want my own class rather than part sharing. Any ideas on what I should do?
    Thanks

3. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

Only you can decide what is best for yourself. I know what I would do, but that would be my personal preference. I had taught year 2 for 7 years in a row and, as much as I loved that year group, I felt I was becoming pigeonholed as a 'year 2 teacher'. Also I was becoming a little bit stale with teaching the same topics year upon year, even with a few changes. I felt that I was no longer as enthusiastic about them. I wasn't offered a change of year group so I asked if I could move to KS2. It's certainly been a harder year so far since I do not have years of planning and resources to choose from, but I love the different challenge of teaching year 5.
    I know we are still learning all the time, but after 6 years in your current situation you have probably developed your knowledge well enough. Do you want a new challenge to develop your skills as a teacher? Is having your own class a more attractive proposition than sharing? This is what you need to be clear about. If at some point you want to go into management, then I would definitely recommend the change.
    Good luck with your decision [​IMG]

4. Many thanks for your reply! It has made alot of things clearer!
    Thanks!