1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Books to Read

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imla, Aug 24, 2012.

1. For my rainforest topic I am trying to decide what novel to read to my Yr 4 class. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has read these books to their class and how they have gone down.
    The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo
    Journey to River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
    Which would be the best to read to the class over the first half term? I'm concerned at the length of both Rynning Wild and Journey to the River Sea however is The Jungle Book too hard to grasp for the less able children? Which books are exciting for the children? Which will provide lots of opportunities to further their learning in other curriculum areas?
    Are there any other novels about the rainforest you can think of appropriate for this age group? I've got some picture books I plan to share at different points in the topic too.
    Thanks.

2. For my rainforest topic I am trying to decide what novel to read to my Yr 4 class. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has read these books to their class and how they have gone down.
    The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo
    Journey to River Sea by Eva Ibbotson
    Which would be the best to read to the class over the first half term? I'm concerned at the length of both Rynning Wild and Journey to the River Sea however is The Jungle Book too hard to grasp for the less able children? Which books are exciting for the children? Which will provide lots of opportunities to further their learning in other curriculum areas?
    Are there any other novels about the rainforest you can think of appropriate for this age group? I've got some picture books I plan to share at different points in the topic too.
    Thanks.

3. I had the same problem when I did Rainforests.

Journey to the River Sea is a fantastic book. I used it when I did rainforests with my Y5 class but it is quite tricky and it is very long, in fact we didn't get to finish it during the term (although lots of them wanted to take it home to read in the holiday).

IMO Jungle Book in the original would be WAY too tricky for a Y4 class - it is a great story but the language can be quite difficult even for an adult to follow. You could maybe try the classic starts version:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Starts-Rudyard-Kipling-Original/dp/1402745761/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345814013&sr=1-1

There are a series of books called Jungle Doctor by Paul White which I thought about but I haven't actually read any.

We have now adapted our rainforest topic to become a Chocolate topic so we will be doing good old Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (a cliche I know!)

I hope you find something.

4. Thanks for that information. I read the first page of The Jungle Book and was instantly put off - I didn't think about the classic starts version which I will have to look up.
    It's good to know about Journey to the River Sea. Perhaps this isn't the best book to use, especially at the start of Year 4 where they can be quite young.
    Has anyone read Running Wild by Michael Morpurgo? Or perhaps something else to offer?

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We used Running Wild with a class of y3,4,5 & 6. It was excellent and very adaptable for all ages. The children really enjoyed it.

6. Brilliant, that's excellent. Thank you for your experience! How many weeks did you read it over? Were the less able children able to cope with it? Did the children have the stamina to cope with it as it is quite long?
    I will be reading it myself over the next week and using it to help plan my work but would appreciate to hear more about your experiences.

7. JumpingStarfish

JumpingStarfish New commenter

Running Wild is fab! The kids loved it - I have read it to both a Year 5 and a Year 3/4 class and they were all desperate for the next installment. How are you planning on using it? As a class book or as part of a Literacy Unit? I have only ever used it as a class reader, but there are many ways it could be used in Literacy. It is long though, so you would want to pick out key areas to use with the children rather than using the whole book as part of the Literacy unit. Its pretty quick to get into the rainforest section, so a few days of fifteen-twenty minutes reading should get you quite a good way into the story.
    Would definitely recommend it!

8. Ah, that's excellent - I have every confidence that this is the right book to use for my topic.
    I'm planning on using it as a class reader but perhaps using extracts to support the topic work and literacy work. I've got just over seven weeks to read it so it words out to be able 40 pages a week so about 8 pages a day which doesn't seem too much of a challenge.
    Thank you for all yoru advice!

9. I had year 3 when teaching Rainforests. Running Wild was far too complex for them unfortunately. However, they (and I) loved Journey to the River Sea!

It's a difficult topic to find a selection of good class readers for - I had exactly the same trouble!