1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class books for upper ks2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Aug 27, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Hi, this year I am determined to have story time during the day every day. I have tried this every year for the past 8 years but am yet to find a book that my classes really love enough to get them gripped. I have tried enid blyton mysteries, indian in the cupboard, various by roald dahl (which they do like but I get fed up of!) david walliams books, scribble boy etc etc etc the list is endless.
    The trouble is, so many of my children do not speal english as a first language so struggle to understand and follow really lengthy books with complicated plots etc that most year 5 and 6 chidlren would be reading if they were used to reading or non-EAL.
    Does anyone have any thing they recommend? 4 of my classes loved the boy in the girls bathroom by Louis sacher but their last class teacher red them this :-( I have tried Holes but it just didn't work in the same way. Short chapters are good and nothing too long. Thank you in advance

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

Hi, this year I am determined to have story time during the day every day. I have tried this every year for the past 8 years but am yet to find a book that my classes really love enough to get them gripped. I have tried enid blyton mysteries, indian in the cupboard, various by roald dahl (which they do like but I get fed up of!) david walliams books, scribble boy etc etc etc the list is endless.
    The trouble is, so many of my children do not speal english as a first language so struggle to understand and follow really lengthy books with complicated plots etc that most year 5 and 6 chidlren would be reading if they were used to reading or non-EAL.
    Does anyone have any thing they recommend? 4 of my classes loved the boy in the girls bathroom by Louis sacher but their last class teacher red them this :-( I have tried Holes but it just didn't work in the same way. Short chapters are good and nothing too long. Thank you in advance

3. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Michael Morpurgo books are good - short chapters, fairly easy language and the books aren't that long.
    'Friend or Foe' is particularly good, it's about WWII so boys loved it! But the girls did too. Also, WWII themed - 'Bobbie's War' is VERY good, funny, scary, sad quite short, easy language. Looks like for younger kids but have read it to y4, 5 and 6 and ALL loved it!
    For y6 narrative retellings of Macbeth are FAB! Gory, fights, mad people, again, boys love it! AND lots of versions available for kids without all the complicated language!
    Can't think of many more at the minute - I always strive to read a class book, but try to fit it in with topic, which isn't always easy! Ancient Greeks this term.....but can't find a good y6 story book based on Ancient Greece......

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The short retellings of any of the Shakespeare plays in narrative are fab. Orchard Classics do a boxed set. You will end up reading the whole flaming lot though and lending them out!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Shakespeare-Stories-Book-%C2%A363-84/dp/1408313057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346095226&sr=8-1

I've also read several of the Real Reads classics. They have the more mature subjects that year 5/6 like, but are simple to follow. Tom Sayer was popular as was Pride and Prejudice.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Real+reads&x=0&y=0

5. Jeremy Strong books are nice and short and very funny.

6. Mine loved Percy Jackson - lots of incidental gods and goddess learning along the way.