1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class Blog

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by aandyr123, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aandyr123

aandyr123 New commenter

Hello everyone,

For the least few years our school has used class blogs to share photographs, work and lesson activities. Originally we used creative blogs but then moved to primaryblogger. This has been free until recently but they are now charging a monthly fee/annual fee to continue using it.

As our head is not very keen to pay to keep these blogs running I was wondering which (if any) different blogs hosts people use for their school and if they are free or not.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice :)

PS I signed up to edublog before finding out that you have to upgrade to embed things onto the blog!

2. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

See if you can get a local tech company to set up a multi-site Wordpress installation. For someone in the know, it's quite straightforward but initially a little time-consuming (of course you need to manage data carefully - GDPR, copyright, suitable passwords etc - that can be a sticking point). You'd need to do is offer to pay for hosting - typically from £4-£10/month for pretty much as many blogs as you like. You need to weight up the services offered by primaryblogger - they seem to take a lot of hassle out of the process.

These things can be tricky to set up, but apparently they can be great for creative writing. I had students use WordPress a long while ago now to reflect on their progress and share it with others. It was quite good at the time...

An alternative to consider is Google Sites, but you'd have to keep a very keen eye on what's published and keep in mind that Google probably has an age restriction.

Good luck - please post an update, I'd love to hear how it goes.

aandyr123 likes this.
  3. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Please go look up GDPR.