1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

class assembly - how long before to start practising?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by orangeshortbread, Jan 3, 2011.

1. I teach a ks1 class and I have a class assembly coming up at the end of the month. I am inexperienced at doing assemblies having only done one before which was a bit of a disaster!

How long before the assembly do you start practising with the class? I have written an outline for it but much of it is based on what the children will be learning in the first two weeks of term so if course they need to learn it before they practise the assembly surely?

Do you usually send home lines to learn? How far in advance?

Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated!

2. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I haven't done a class assembly with my present class (Y1), but when I had Y2, I would give readings out 2 weeks before the assembly. in the first week, they'd be expected to learn them at home, and in the second week we'd read through it every day in class, doing one rehearsal in the hall on the day beforehand. I absolutely hate class assemblies!

3. Mine is in three weeks and we started practising today in class. We will use our PE sessions to practise in the hall...we do over the hours that we need for PE anyway so it works out ok.

4. I teach year 2. The children told me what they wanted to share with their parents and each child said what they would like to talk about, I wrote it and put it in an order and then we rehearsed it twice in the few days before our assembly. We spent a bit longer rehearsing the songs we performed, but that was part of our music work.

5. I guess if this is the case then start a bit earlier than last time! [​IMG]
    Sorry, not very helpful I know but I couldn't resist!
    I tend to have the 'script' ready for the children 4 weeks before the assembly (Y4). They can take it home and learn any words in addition to their normal homework. I rehearse the songs during music lessons and would start running through the whole thing 3 weeks out.
    I'm afraid I've no experience of putting on assemblies with a KS1 class so apologies if this is completely irrelevant.