1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Class assemblies - ideas please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bedingfield, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Can anybody help me? I am in my second year of teaching (currently yr 5) and last year, class assemblies across the school very rarely happened. This year the head is making sure that everybody has class or year group assemblies on the days there are not whole school ones.
    Does anyone have any ideas for themes, or can they give me titles of books that may help me?
    Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. bedingfield

Can anybody help me? I am in my second year of teaching (currently yr 5) and last year, class assemblies across the school very rarely happened. This year the head is making sure that everybody has class or year group assemblies on the days there are not whole school ones.
    Does anyone have any ideas for themes, or can they give me titles of books that may help me?
    Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.

3. we tend to base class assemblies on the theme we are doing that term... ie. ww2 so would do evacuation and get children to read diary entries...

for the tudors we did the court case for Henry the eighth..

4. We have two KS2 assemblies a week led by the SMT, one 'hymn practice/service and 2 assemblies led by teachers. One of these is a KS2 assembly and one a class assembly. The SMT provide their own ideas but I have concocted a 2 year rolling programme for us teachers - approx 150 assemblies. Apart from the excellent site www.assemblies.org these are the books I have used to put them together
    <font size="3">1 Assembly File by Elizabeth Peirce (Folens)</font>4 Ideas Bank ~ Assemblies by Louis Fidge & John Williams
    <font size="3">6 Scholastic Assemblies 7-11</font>

5. Ask the children for theme ideas. You'll be surprised what they can come up with and what they want to hear about.

6. Look at www.decadedrama.co.uk which has sketches, stories and interactive poems etc for use in schools. I know....I wrote them!! Enjoy!

7. bedingfield

Thanks for all your help. There are some great ideas there. I will definitely look at the websites and like the idea of the themes, as we are doing treasure as a topic so will have some nice themes to build on there.

8. That reminds me of a service i saw once where the teacher chose other teachers and read out how old they were in days, hours, minutes and seconds! Then revealed who they shared a birthday with, and what else was happening at that time. The kids found it hilarious hearing that their teachers were 6 billion seconds old etc!

9. I did one based on Danny Wallace's Random acts of Kindness - the class decided which ones were easy to do (e.g give up your place in the queue to someone behind you/cheer for someone you don't know at sports day) and we shared it with the school. It was designed for secondary but could be easily adapted. I will upload it it to the site so you can have a look

10. How about assemblies that involve things that are not written in books or on walls eg PE dance, drama, outside activities etc. Things the parents wouldn't know were going on unless they were actually in the building at the time. Tons of valuable experiences like this are happening but you have to be there ...
    Shlottie

11. bedingfield

Thanks for further ideas. I will keep all of these in mind. I like the 'On this day' one and the Acts of Random Kindness. Will check resources for the upload.

12. May be too late now, but I site I use often is www.myschoolassembly.co.uk. The resources are great - wide spread in terms of subject and all the assemblies are fully scripted. There are also class assembly scripts on there which may help.

13. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

14. nattycarter

nattycarter New commenter

Hi
    I would be interested in seeing this assembly script. Would you mind sharing it please?
    Many thanks,
    Natalie