1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clarity on pay

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by vforvendetta, Aug 9, 2011.

1. vforvendetta

vforvendetta New commenter

If someone has a part-time position for the year, they will be paid at their 'normal' rate on the pay scale, pro rata. If, however, the same school offers to top that up with other days here and there, are you regarded as a supply teacher for said 'other' days, and paid a pitance, or are you paid at your normal rate? There must be a lot of us in this position who require clarification. I for one will be very reluctant to work at half the rate one day compared with the previous day.

2. vforvendetta

If someone has a part-time position for the year, they will be paid at their 'normal' rate on the pay scale, pro rata. If, however, the same school offers to top that up with other days here and there, are you regarded as a supply teacher for said 'other' days, and paid a pitance, or are you paid at your normal rate? There must be a lot of us in this position who require clarification. I for one will be very reluctant to work at half the rate one day compared with the previous day.

3. Pittance for the other days I'm afraid. I feel exactly the same.

4. I have been told that unless the additional day or days is regular, that is the LA know that it likely to be long-term, then I will only be paid at point 1. BUT I'm not going to get anything long-term because I'm at the top of the pay scale and I'm not an NQT! ****!!
    A pittance is what I'm going to get. I'm going to be paid one rate at the beginning of the week and another at the end of the week and I can't see that changing anytime soon. So it seems I'm worth my money some of the time but not all of the time.
    Sorry, I'm having a rant 'cos its the end of the holiday and I know its not long before all this starts. [​IMG] I'm also fed up because if the LAs get their way, this may be the last 6-week summer holiday that we ever get!

5. LAs deserve to die.

6. vforvendetta

I will probably be on a 0.8, but I know that the school will regularly ask me to come in the additional day, but will not make it a regular post. I am inclined out, out of principle, not to work that day, even if its detrimental to the pupils. I can see this being a source of friction with management.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do the extra day, however intermittently it's required, for a few weeks and then just let them know that you've managed to get one day a week permanent doing something else and apologise profusely whilst backing out the door, head bowed, tugging your forelock. I understand your concern about the friction but it will only be a source of friction if you make it about the money. Don't. Make it about your unavailability.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Of course that only applies if you decide you really don't want this extra days wages . . . . . .I'd be inclined to take the extra day and just compartmentalise it; 4 days proper job, one day pin money (and using dosh to save up for something)

9. vforvendetta

I'm actually not concerned about any fricton, in fact, I think we need it to make them realise the precarious position a lot of supply teachers are in. Quite frankly, if I can pick up some tutoring work, I'll make up the money and still have a 4 day week until I get a better offer elsewhere. It will be very interesting to see what happens when all the retired teachers call it a day.

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

According to what I've heard if your are part-time or job share and you are asked to work additional days with your own class or I assume in secondary classes then you are paid at your normal rate. If the work you are asked to do is with different classes then you are paid at point 1.

11. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

I'd be interested to know the source of that info.

12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

EIS. Speak to your school rep. All those in my authority have had this info emailed to them.

13. vforvendetta

It's completely ludicrous, to say nothing of insulting and immoral. The responsibility lies with whoever signs off the weekly supply forms. In many authorities they have different forms for long and short term supply. One can only hope that they will put any extra days through on a long term form to have you paid at your normal rate.

14. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

the authority are supposed to be bringing out new forms but your right you are relying on other people's integrity. I have every faith in my HT but I am aware that not everyone is so fortunate.

15. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Thanks ScotSen. Have cancelled my EIS direct debit, but as it isn't due till October, I reckon I should have received this info. Naughty EIS - they can send me ticky boxes for why I cancelled, but not useful info.....
    Received a very detailed letter from my LA yesterday. In Aberdeenshire, the timesheets will be different colours depending whether you are on a fixed term contract (over 5 days, known from the outset) or 5 days or less.
    The fixed term contract thing seems to be terminology rather than an actual contract being issued. For example, if you are ging into a school to cover for 10 days, the LA "will issue a fixed term contract" and you will fill in 7 hours on a yellow form. 5 days or less and you will fill in 5 hour days on a red form. I say it's a terminology thing, because the LA wold otherwise be issuing contracts right, left and centre - which seems to me to be totally impractical, however............
    Also interesting for me and the countless other people in my situation is the arrangements for supply in the school in which yo also hold a perm PT contract. If you cover extra days in the class you usually teach, you will be paid properly to scale on a yellow form. If you cover in a class you don't usually teach, you will claim 5 hours and be paid at M1 on a red form. The first bit was music to my ears!
    However I am not sure whether all LAs will operate in this way, or whether, as in all things else, they make up their own rules as they go along.

16. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'm doing a fixed term pointage covering RCCT in Primary. If I do extra days, is this paid at point 1 or my usual point? My reasoning being that my normal job is covering different classes!

17. They're the only people we can get to come in!

18. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I'd say if your doing your usual job then yes you should get your usual pay. Thats just my personal opinion of course..

19. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Second that!

20. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

That's where their rules break down! They have simply not taken into account that there are so many variations of supply work and that one size cannot possibly fit all.
    I suspect they will tell you that if you are not covering RCCT then you will not be entitled to be paid to scale,however in your situation I would give HR a ring. Bet they can't give you a straight answer straight away. Good luck, especially as,for supply in your "own" school, you are so often told to ust do your own thing, rather than having work left.