1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Clapping music for GCSE Ensemble?

Discussion in 'Music' started by dilly_84, Mar 14, 2011.

1. dilly_84

dilly_84 New commenter

Afternoon all,
    One of my little darlings has informed me that he has been practicing Steve Reich's "clapping music" with his drum teacher as part of the ensemble. At first I thought it would show the complexities of rhythm etc but now I'm having my hesistations. So, if you lovely people could give more your opinion on...
    1. Is this appropriate for a GCSE ensemble piece? He is a gifted drummer so I want him to get the full marks for this section.
    2. Do you think he would need to do all of the repeats? I would be tempted to leave them in but then I think the examiner may well give up half way through...
    3. Would I be allowed to add in certain expression marks to boost the 'interpretation' bit?
    Many, many thanks for any help! I'm in a one person department so throwing ideas around here is brilliant!
    Dilly x
    P.S. AQA is the exam board

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

On question 2, bear in mind that it can be no longer than 5 minutes (no idea what they do if it is longer than this).

3. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

My advice is to be guided by the mark scheme. Whilst performing 'Clapping Music' is a great feat it will not necessarily show all the ensemble attributes which are being sought by the exam board.