1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Claiming UK tax back.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by cityfree, Feb 20, 2011.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hi all, hope you are well.
    I am aware of the process of claiming the tax back whilst in the UK (had a refund after starting my PGCE as I wasn't working until the next tax year). But I was wondering if you had any tips/troubles for doing this from China! My current plan is to fill in the forms and then have a friend post the forms, along with P45, when said P45 arrives. Then, when the cheque comes, deposit it in my account.
    Thankful for any wise input, or otherwise.
    From a very rainy London. [​IMG]

2. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

<font size="2">you will need a p60 and this is to declare that you are leaving the British tax system, you will need to keep it until you return to the uk.</font><font size="2">any allowance that you have paid and are due back can be claimed this way.</font><font size="2">:)</font>

3. invincible

invincible New commenter

Don't you fill in a P85 to declare you will not be resident for tax purposes? Or is that only if you have nothing left in the UK to declare from year to year?

4. invincible

invincible New commenter

5. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

sorry! you'r right its the P85 not P60.
    p 60 is the end of year summary.

6. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Goodness, more complex than I thought. I shall have to look into it. Thank you for your help.

7. 576

576 Occasional commenter

No. Not more complex than you thought -
    exactly as you thought except you didn't know the name of the form
    Complete P85
    Have it sent off with your P45 when it arrives.
    Wait for the cheque (which will come to you overseas but you should be able to deposit a sterling cheque into your chinese account - if not hang on to it till you come back.)

8. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I've had a look at the form and they will pay into my UK bank account.
    Thanks for your help guys. [​IMG]

9. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Yeah - that's what I thought they'd do too. They had all my banking details - but in the end I got a letter telling me how much refund I was getting and then a cheque arrived in the post.