1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Claiming to be someone you are not

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by weebecka, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Dear TES
    In your code of conduct you say it is not okay to claim to be someone who you are not. It is clear that I cannot claim to be someone else who actually exists
    But it is not clear if I can claim to be someone fictional. Like Simon Smith - Headteacher. Is that okay or would that be unethical?
    Thanks, Weebecka

2. Dear TES
    In your code of conduct you say it is not okay to claim to be someone who you are not. It is clear that I cannot claim to be someone else who actually exists
    But it is not clear if I can claim to be someone fictional. Like Simon Smith - Headteacher. Is that okay or would that be unethical?
    Thanks, Weebecka

3. Hi Weebecka
    We have no objection to our members protecting their identity which is why we give the option for usernames/nicknames. As long as you are not attempting to impersonate another person, you can choose whatever username you like as long as it isn't offensive.

4. So impersonating being an inspector or a headteacher in the advice you give is okay?

5. I'm not pretending to be something I'm not by the way. I'm writing an article about discussion forums in maths education and I'm just exploring the ethics and rules by which they are run. Any comments very welcome.

6. The posts speak for themselves. Especially number 3.
    For anyone to give advice which they are not qualified or experienced to do, whilst pretending they are is outrageously irresponsible.