1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Claiming JSA - old job contract just ended and new job starts in Jan - help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by FollyFairy, Nov 10, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I was in similar situation, knew I was starting a job in 8 weeks time after claiming for 4 weeks. The lovely woman at the job-centre, when I told her said 'Congratulations!' and then told me to keep on claiming until I had actually started, then on that day, call up the number they give you on the JSA claim book and tell them to stop the claim from the day before. Technically I am sure you are still looking for work until you start work, aren't you?

2. Technically yes I am! But my worry is will I have to spend time applying for jobs and going for interviews in the weeks before my new job starts? Childcare is an issue and won't properly start until Jan when my new job starts, as I have no means to pay for it until then. Paid the deposit for childcare today and it cleared me out! It seems silly to be applying for jobs when I have one, is it just a case of 'playing the game'?

3. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

I think it is a case of playing the game. A friend on the PGCE got a teaching job for September but claimed JSA from July - September even though she had no intention of actually getting a temp job. I suppose you still need an income from now until your job starts so it should be ok.