1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Claiming Jobseekers Allowance

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by opendoors, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I am a supply teacher who is planning to claim JSA. How many days will it take for the JSA to let us know if our claim has been successful?
    Also my fiancee or partner hasnt been working since February. Since she was struggling to get work we then agreed if she can move in with me as from May.
    Can she claim JSA dating back from the time she stopped working?

Thank you guys.

2. I am a supply teacher who is planning to claim JSA. How many days will it take for the JSA to let us know if our claim has been successful?
    Also my fiancee or partner hasnt been working since February. Since she was struggling to get work we then agreed if she can move in with me as from May.
    Can she claim JSA dating back from the time she stopped working?

Thank you guys.

3. She can try back-claiming, but unfortunately it will be very difficult to convince them. I didn't apply straight away after finishing my PGCE, and despite having proof of when the course ended, I wasn't allowed to claim back pay. In the words of the employee who dealt with the claim, "we only allow it if someone's died or the job centre building's burned down or something." I did get a week's worth of back pay from them once,due to their own incompetence when they processed forms incorrectly and signed me off without my knowledge so I had to do a rapid reclaim.
    It took me a week to find out about my initial claim, but it varies I think.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Your partner will not be able to back claim.
    You can only back claim if you tried to claim before and were given wrong advice by benefits staff not to bother.
    You can each make separate claims for JSA Contributory if you have paid enough NI in the past and you can also be assessed as a couple for JSA Contributory if neither of you is working 24 hours + per week and you don't have joint savings over a certain amount.
    If you qualify for Income BAsed JSA, you should also get Housing Benefit if you rent, mortgage interest help if that applies and Council tax relief.
    Once one of you gets regular work over 24+ hours per week, the Income Based JSA would stop but the other partner would still receive their Contributory JSA (up to their 26 week maximum entitlement).

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The other reason she can't back claim is that a claim for JSA is only valid when you sign a contract with them agreeing what you will do to look for work ... and then showing evidence of that jobsearch when you sign on each fortnight.
    The time it takes to agree a claim varies as not everyone brings along the necessary ID and final payslips etc when they get their first interview. Also, delays occur at times when lots of people are claiming and benefits significant numbers of staff are on holiday (like now!)
    Once a claim is accepted, you get paid JSA for all but the first 3 Waiting Days of your claim.
    I can never work out why poeple don't claim from the first day of unemployment.
    I have to say that you might both be better off with your partner living elsewhere. If she qualifies for Income Based because of no work and low/nil savings, she would get rent paid + the JSA Personal Allowance.
    You'd get the same at your place if you also have low savings.
    Claiming as a couple for Income Based generates far less than 2 individual Personal Allowances. they reckon two can live more cheaply than one (one lot of energy bills etc).
    A ot of long-term claimants, I suspect, have separate dwellings but tend to live together 'unofficially' so that the energy bills at one residence are negligible.