1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Claiming Job seekers until September?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Kidders, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I have a job lined up for September, but won't be paid until the end of that month. I have been unable to find temporary summer employment (hence the delay) and wondered if i'd be able to sign on? I've had a look at the form, but it's rather confusing! It asks if I am currently employed (to which the answer is yes and no) It also asks how many hours i normally work per week (i'm not sure) I have asked for payments to be back dated to when I finished my course- but how do I prove when my course finished? I now have my PGCE certificate and QTS certificate, but is this enough? Or should I email my university and request a letter?

Anybody actually claiming/ claimed during the months between the end of the PGCE and start of teaching post?

2. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

I have a job lined up for September, but won't be paid until the end of that month. I have been unable to find temporary summer employment (hence the delay) and wondered if i'd be able to sign on? I've had a look at the form, but it's rather confusing! It asks if I am currently employed (to which the answer is yes and no) It also asks how many hours i normally work per week (i'm not sure) I have asked for payments to be back dated to when I finished my course- but how do I prove when my course finished? I now have my PGCE certificate and QTS certificate, but is this enough? Or should I email my university and request a letter?

Anybody actually claiming/ claimed during the months between the end of the PGCE and start of teaching post?

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I don't think you can get JSA because you're not a 'job seeker' - you have already secured a job.
    I could be wrong.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you don't mention that you have a job starting on the first of September then you could claim for August. You are not currently employed if your contract hasn't started.

You can claim, but would have to show that you are looking for work.

5. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Well true yes, but I am currently seeking summer employment... Surely that is totally unfair though? If I have managed to secure a job, but not until September, why do I get penalised when many people on the dole aren't even actively looking for work? Plus I will only be claiming one month, rather than several years! (and obviously be covering what i use in PAYE and tax over the next 40 years employment!) Grrr! Our system annoys me so much

6. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Is this legal? To NOT say I have a job from September? I don't want to get done for benefit fraud! lol! It frustrates me that I am genuinely looking for some financial help to cover rent and bills until I get paid and it may not be possible, because I already have secured a post for September! This needs fixing!

7. Yes you can claim until your contract starts.
    I have been on JSA since late April due to lack of supply work, secured a permanent position at the end of May, told the JSA people and they were fine about it, just have to show that I am looking for short term work until my contract starts.
    I don't think you will be able to claim back-payments, when I rang up I was only able to claim from the date I rang, even though I hadn't worked for a few weeks (might be different in other areas though, I'm claiming in N. Ireland).

8. Sorry if that sounds confusing, meant to say that my job was starting in September!

9. you can deff sign on i have!! said i was looking for summer work to get my by for the summer before i start in september. The Lady was really understanding and set me up with another lady who she said wont push me to do lots of stuff ;) applying and things. just got to go in every 2 weeks for a short meeting. - which is only 3 times over the summer. You are entitled and its deff worth doing!

10. Kidders

Kidders New commenter

Thank you! I have filled in the form and hoping i'll get a phone interview when I can explain the situation better! Where in the country are you? I might resort to saying I know somebody else in the same predicament as I am in and they have been able to claim over the summer! How did you show when your course finished?

11. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

I am in exactly your position. Got my letter today - I will get £67.50 a week for pretending to look for a job

12. I qualified in July 2010 and had a full-time permanent job lined up for September 2011. I received JSA for the whole of the summer because I was seeking a job for the summer period.
    They knew that I had a job in September and we agreed on a date that my JSA would stop.
    I just had to prove that I was actively looking for a summer job (bar work, temp work, cleaning work, call centre, shop work etc) every week - which is what everyone on JSA has to do.
    You might have a job in Sept but you still need to surive until then. And you'll be paying enough tax when you start working so go for it! Nothing illegal about it - just be honest with them about your Sept start.
    Sarah x

13. Just to add - they weren't particularly bothered about me 'prooving' that I was looking for a job. I just made it up to be honest. Just had to tick boxes and fill in diaries of my 'search' which they didn't bother to look at :)

14. YesMrBronson

That is a fault of the system. It is not a licence to abuse it.

15. YesMrBronson

[​IMG]

16. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I agree, you SHOULD be looking for summer work just because your lucky enough to have something lined up doesn't mean you should abuse the system. The chances of you getting something are slim but there should be no 'pretending' about it.

17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you're not working at the moment, you can sign on and will only be required to look for temporary work if you have ajob lined up.
    Teaching jobs officially start on 1st Sept, even if the first da y at work is later in that week. You'd sign off with 31st August as your last day of JSA.
    You won't get back-dated JSA to when your course finished so knowing when that date was is academic. Back-dating only happens when a claimant was given wrong information when they first tried to sign on and didn't lodge a claim (or signed off having wrongly been told that they weren't entitled to JSA).
    Your claim will be assessed from the date when you phoned, applied on-line or requested the paper form. The first 3 days are unpaid Waiting Days for everyone.
    You will have to choose 3 types of work that you will look for over the temporary period but will only actually have to front up and provide a jobsearch on about 2 occasions in August. No-one will put you under pressure as they know you have work lined up.
    You may be entitled to Housing benefit, Council tax relief and free NHS services as well as the JSA allowance. The Personal Allowance of £67-45 is for those aged 25 and over. If you are 24 and under you get less because, obviously, food and gas/electric and transport are cheaper for you!

18. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

Your attitude is really annoying!

19. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

Your attitude is really annoying!

20. YesMrBronson

I think that was the idea.