1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

claim travel

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jjenkinsuk, Nov 25, 2015.

  1. jjenkinsuk

    jjenkinsuk New commenter

    Can I claim travel expenses if I am supply without going through an umbrella company if so can anyone please tell me how to get started
  2. is2

    is2 Occasional commenter

    I doubt it.
    Like any job my understanding is you have to subsidise your travel independently, unless of course you are travelling by plane etc for training.
    I could be wrong
    Hope this helps and answers query.
  3. Kartoshka

    Kartoshka Established commenter

    I agree. If you were a teacher on a permanent contract, would you be able to claim travel expenses for getting to and from work?
  4. Spiritwalkerness

    Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

    If we go on courses, we are able to claim mileage but taking away the usual miles to and from school. I say, 'are able to' but most people never do.
  5. emmalcm1

    emmalcm1 Established commenter

    I've never looked into it because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't really be worth my while anyway. I'm not exactly raking it so therefore not paying an awful lot in tax. I'm imagining it would be a lot of hassle for what you'd get back even if you can.
  6. PizzoCalabro

    PizzoCalabro Established commenter

    I just sent all the info for my tax return to my accountant who completes it, with all the mileage on it as I only do day-to day and last year when was with agencies (PAYE) went to many schools and refused more than 5 days in row at the same school as wanted variety for experience (NQT). I have just left if for him to decide whether or not to input on the tax return as he is the professional tax person, and no downside if he says not allowable, but upside if it is. Will let you know what happens :).
  7. peakster

    peakster Star commenter

    I think it depends on whether you set yourself up as a limited company or not.

    I was with an umbrella company and didn't claim travel while on supply. When I completed my tax return I phoned up HMRC and asked whether I could have claimed and she said no so in retrospect I'm glad I didn't
  8. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You can only claim travel expenses and subsistence if you are self-employed, which is what you essentially are when paid via an Umbrella Company.
    For PAYE agency work, supply work undertaken directly with a school and contract work, you cannot offset travel costs against tax or subsistence expenses.

    The things that you can claim for are a uniform allowance (claim the flat £60 allowance and it will save a 20% taxpayer £12 in tax per year) IF you have to provide and/or maintain and launder specialist clothing /footwear and your employer does not provide laundry facilities for your use at work. This applies most to those who have to teach or cover PE at some point in their working year (so applies to general supply staff and most Primary teachers + specialist Secondary ones .... and to those who have to wear a lab coat or apron sometimes.) Food Tech teachers often keep flat, non-slip soled shoes for use in the cookery room and they may also have to buy their own marigolds etc.

    You can also offset some or all of your Union subs against tax. Your union will give you a statement of payments over the last 4 tax years to allow you to back claim tax and they should specify how much of your subs is eligible for tax relief. If there is a political levy incorporated in your subs, that part is ineligible.
    If you do not work full-time, ask your Union what their reduced rates are for p/t teachers. I eventually paid for a 0.3 or under membership, saving loads each year.
  9. PizzoCalabro

    PizzoCalabro Established commenter

    Interesting about union fees. I wanted to cancel mine- needless to say no info at all on the renewal about how to do that.
  10. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    Oh No It can be worth it, if you claim that you drove a Lamborghini but in reality you actually ride a 50cc moped. :D
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If you can claim travel costs against tax, you either put down the actual costs of buses and trains (keep the tickets/receipts) or you claim 45p per mile (so log daily mileage to and from schools).

    The Inland Revenue 45p per mile allowance takes into account the cost of petrol and of depreciation. I claim it for business mileage to my rental property.

    I keep a diary of journeys and tot up all the mileage at the end of each tax year. I typically offset around £700 per year, saving me £140 in tax. It doesn't cover the cost of the petrol used but it's better than nothing.

Share This Page