1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Claim back up to 70% of your teacher union fees from the tax man!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by egyptiangirl, Sep 2, 2011.

  1. I'm a fervent money saver.[​IMG]
    Was just researching and found you can claim back around 70% of your annual teaching union fees.
    A list of the associations is here it includes NUT, NASUWT, voice, ATL
    Details of how to claim are here
    This could be a refund of more than £70 for some of us!
    Is that right? Does anyone already do this? Is everyone else doing it and just me that has realised?
    Off to contact HMRC...

  2. I'm a fervent money saver.[​IMG]
    Was just researching and found you can claim back around 70% of your annual teaching union fees.
    A list of the associations is here it includes NUT, NASUWT, voice, ATL
    Details of how to claim are here
    This could be a refund of more than £70 for some of us!
    Is that right? Does anyone already do this? Is everyone else doing it and just me that has realised?
    Off to contact HMRC...

  3. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    Large numbers of people already do it - just ask HMRC to add your professional fees (ie Union subs) to your tax code. I think the Union websites include a scale of previous years' fees for people making back claims.
  4. laticsbird

    laticsbird New commenter

    Can you get back-pay if you've never claimed for previous years????[​IMG]
  5. I used a company called SRS after it was recommended to me by a friend at work. Think their website is www.srs.co.uk
    They charge a flat £40 for their service. Their website takes you through claiming for up to 6 years previous of tax on union fees and GTC fees. The amounts are already on their website for you to find what to charge back for. (Apparently NUT fees are slightly different and you have to call them to find out what percentage of their dues are claimable for). It fills the forms in for you and then emails them to you to print out, sign and return. If you are lazy like me and don't get around to it, then a set of paperwork arrives through the post for you to sign and return.
    A few weeks later I received a set of paperwork back from the tax office. Each year had its own set of paperwork and it told me how much to expect to receive. I also had an email from the company when they received the cheque from the tax man.
    In all I claimed back £260. The £40 fee seemed reasonable. I couldn't find anything on the HMRC website to guide me to the right forms the amount of paperwork that they sort out for you meant I was grateful that I hadn't had to do it myself.
  6. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Don't use a tax service company to claim this easy-peasy tax relief!
    Surely teachers are capable of writing a simple letter to their tax office saying " Dear Mr Taxman, I would like to claim tax relief on my GTC fee of £36-50 for the financial year 2011/12. I enclose the duly completed GTC tax relief form that I downloaded from their website.
    I also pay professional fees to a Union and understand from them that the follwing fraction is eligible for tax relief (9/10ths for ATL members, 2/3rds for NUT subscribers, ? for NASAWT ETC). I will be paying a total of £X in the 2011/12 tax year, of which £Y is eligible for tax relief.
    I understand that I can back-claim for the past 6 tax years. I paid the following GTC fees in 2005/6, 2006/7. 2007/8, 2008/9 and 2009/10, and include a completed GTC tax relief form, duly signed, for each applicable year.
    I also paid the following Union subscriptions for for those tax years and claim an eligible amount (A,B,C,D,E,F pounds) for each tax year.
    Please forward my tax rebates to the following bank account.
    Yours etc "
    You have to dig out all that in formation for a tax service company anyway, so why not send it, free of charge, to the Inland revenue for processing?
    They will use the figures given for this tax year to increase your tax code and will refund the overpaid tax from previous tax years.
    They will then assume that next year you will be paying the same as this tax year, so when you know the different figures applying for 2012/13 tax year, send them a brief letter outlining your new, tax relief eligible payments and they will adjust your tax code for that year.
    The higher your tax code, the less tax you pay via PAYE.

  7. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    For higher paid teachers/SMT who have not claimed in the last 6 years, the rebate could easily be £400-£500if they pay tax at 40%.
  8. I understand that I could have done this myself, but I didn't have to dig anything out for the tax company as the company did all the legwork and had the records of all the amounts for all the fees for each year on record. They filled in all the forms - that I could not find on the tax website itself. It calculated and sorted all the forms for each of the 6 years for both the union fees and the GTCW fees without me having to download forms from the GTCW. I was happy to spend the £40 to not have to bother with any of that.
  9. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    How did the tax service company know your Union fees? There are various levels of payments; I only pay for working 0.3 of a year, for instance, becasue there's so little supply work around that it's not worth paying f/t fees.
  10. Probably because, although I work part time, the percentage of the week that I work is greater than 0.5 and therefore I have to pay full time rate, which they had the info for. I'm in the NASUWT which only has 2 levels of payments, one for part timers under 0.5, one for everyone else.
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    That's actually a common misunderstanding of what happens when you claim tax relief.
    You actually claim the tax back that you paid on 7 tenths /two thirds/ nine tenths (depending on your Union) of your Union subs. You don't get that 7 tenths/two thirds/9 tenths back.. You get 20% of it back if you pay Basic Rate tax and 40% of the 70% etc back if you pay higher rate tax.
  12. kibosh

    kibosh Star commenter

    I've just done it for the last 6 years. I phoned up the IR and they said to;
    • write a letter stating which years you want to claim for (include your NI number and other details)
    • attach the originals of your P60s or P45s
    • print off your union sub fees from their website
    • include a list of schools and/or local authorities that you have worked for
    Takes about a month to hear back from them. Be prepared to pester them weekly for your cheque.
    kerrie3012 likes this.
  13. You don't need to fill in any forms or download forms from the website. If you know what the fees were for the past years you just type a normal letter and send it to your tax office stating the name of the organisations you are claiming for (ie GTC, NUT), the fees for each of the past year, and send it to your local tax office. You can also claim for any subject associations you belong to which are relevent eg Royal Geographical Association.
  14. Hi, My GTC payment is refunded into my salary (I think) by my school, so presumably I can't then claim tax relief on it? Does anyone know the NASUWT percentage?

  15. I did it over the phone. At the same time they adjusted my code to take into account regular charitable donations that I make by direct debit. Made quite a difference to my tax code, although I didn't claim any back tax.
  16. Asta9

    Asta9 New commenter

    2/3 is eligible for relief.
    Thanks for the replies. I will cross my fingers. A small windfall would certainly come in handy at this point.
  17. Lost for words.
  18. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You will hear separately about claims for past years.
  19. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You can still claimtax relief on it!
    The LA pass on a sum of money that is a contribution. That sum is subject to payroll deductions.
    You then send the GTC a larger sum and can claim tax relief on that fee. If you are a Basic Rate Taxpyer, you'll get £7-30 back for each year that the fee has been £36-50. Check your records, or ask the GTC, for the fees paid each year since 2005-2006. Hurry as the dealine is looming for getting that early tax year included.
  20. Thanks. I only started teaching in 2005 so didn't pay GTC until 2006 or 2007, need to check. And no union fees until about the same time.

Share This Page