1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Claim back tax?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by nessy81, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Hi, I attended an NQT course the other day where the leader mentioned as teachers we can claim tax back on things like union membership, TES subscription etc. Does anyone know how to go about this?
  2. Hi, I attended an NQT course the other day where the leader mentioned as teachers we can claim tax back on things like union membership, TES subscription etc. Does anyone know how to go about this?
  3. Call your local tax office (number in the telephone book) and explain you want. They will send you out the right form. Make sure you have the recipts and it's a doddle from there. You can also claim back money you have spent on materials for school...as long as you haven't been paid back in expenses otherwise you would be paid twice!!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You can claim back for professional fees and subscriptions and for other items that you HAVE to purchase in order to be able to do your job.

    You can get tax relief on Union subs (tax back at your highest rate on 100% of most Unions' fees and on two thirds of those for the NUT) and on the £33 you pay to the GTC (getting £7-26 back if you pay 22% tax).

    As for items you buy for teaching, you can only claim if the purchase fits the "wholly and exclusively" rule; it has to be something without which you cannot do your job and if something is essential for your work, it is usual for it to be funded by the employer. Generally speaking, self-employed workers are the ones that avail themselves of this tax concession- claiming for computers, tools, vehicles etc. Most teachers would find it difficult to make that case as the shool budget should be funding the basics for teaching. If you choose to spend your money on something to enhance your teaching or as a time-saver, that's your choice and not tax deductible.

    PE teachers could make a case for offsetting the purchase of specialist clothing and footwear, as long as the items were only used at work.
  5. Interesting reading! I hope people are still around on this thread. :)

    Shouldn't the school budget cover the cost of the "specialist" sports clothing if it is "essential"? Or can I claim the cost of my suit, trousers, shoes, ties.... ? School doesn't provide me a uniforn and I'm a slob outside of school.

    Also, how "essential" do things have to be? I have bought items to carry paperwork/books in with my own money. Is that a time saver/luxury because I should carry books around loose?

  6. Middlemarch

    Middlemarch Star commenter

    You can't claim for any of these things. The clothes you mention do not have to be exclusively for use in school. I don't know any PE staff who ahve claimed successfully for the cost of their PE kit - but then, botht he schools I've been head of have paid for such kit for PE, science, technology staff.
  7. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I've just moved from the NUT to the ATL. I claimed two thirds of my NUT sub against tax but can claim nine tenths of the ATL subs against tax. I simply need to inform the tax office of the figures and keep my Union statement for 6 years in case my claim is audited (even without it, the Union would provide an historical record if I needed it).
    GTC fee is easily claimed against tax using the form downloadable from their website. The fee will be due again on 1st April 2011 and that will be the last payment. Even if they do not manage to close down the organistaion by 1st April 2012, they have announced that no fee will be charged for 2012/13.

Share This Page