1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Civil Rights Trip to USA - advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by walshzoe, Apr 19, 2012.

1. I am looking at organising my first overseas trip (eeeek). Can anyone recommend any good travel companies please? (Those to avoid would also be helpful!!)

Thinking of Yrs 10-13 and visiting Washington DC. If anyone has done a trip there and can offer itinerary advice that would be much appreciated too.

Cheers,

2. I am looking at organising my first overseas trip (eeeek). Can anyone recommend any good travel companies please? (Those to avoid would also be helpful!!)

Thinking of Yrs 10-13 and visiting Washington DC. If anyone has done a trip there and can offer itinerary advice that would be much appreciated too.

Cheers,

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have done Chicago 3 times with kids. I arrange my own visit. Trailfinders are very good at getting flights. They will also arrange accomodation as a package if you ask them. However check if there is a Hostelling International in DC. This is about the cheapest accomodation there is but it is clean and usually includes a breakfast. Eating out in the US is cheap and easy. Public transport in US cities is better, cheaper, cleaner and easier to use than in the UK.

As for itinerary I have no idea.

4. Itinerary? I've been to DC a few times. There are the obvious monuments: including Lincoln, Jefferson and MLK. The Jefferson and Lincoln ones also have small museums underneath them. I think the MLK one may have a museum, or was it a glorified gift shop?
    If you are not sticking to a strict "Civil Rights" theme, you could easily spend at least two days on the National Mall: this has all monuments, and the various parts of the Smithsonian, all of which are free.
    Unlike in the majority of US cities the public transport in DC is fairly good, especially their small underground network, so it is fairly easy to get around.
    Despite the reputation of the city, the centre of DC is incredibly safe.If you are prepared to get the Amtrak train to another city you are close to Baltimore, Richmond and relatively close to Philadelphia. Amtrak, by the way, can be booked online and has trains that are soooo much better than you find in the UK, just don't expect Amtrak to stick to their schedule.
    Almost forgot, accommodation in DC is a lot cheaper when congress, especially in August, when the prices can be reduced by as much as 50%. Mind you it is incredibly sticky in August...

5. Brilliant - Thank you both

I think I feel a recce coming on!!