1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Citzien science or similar

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, Nov 20, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Just been bought to my attention by a helpful TESer.

Has anyone done anything like this in their school?

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Yes. The original galaxy zoo and classifying galaxies part of a year 5 space topic.

3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

How did you get started? I can't find the place to even register our school

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

You don't need to register you just get stuck in. So for the galaxy classification we'd already done work on space. I started by giving them images of galaxies and getting them to form their own classifications before using the website to see how the researchers there were doing it.

They kind of need to be interwoven into a topic and not just used as a standalone thing I think, but others may have other experiences.

The video on this site may be useful - http://www.citizensciencecenter.com/about-citizen-science/

Oddly I just got this email below. May be worth contacting Maria?

(and if anyone here has done it perhaps they can also help with the below)

Maria.Aristeidou maria.aristeidou@open.ac.uk
    12:55 (44 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dear all,
    This invitation is for teachers or those who know teachers engaging their students in citizen science activities. Could you please circulate?
    CitSci Edu is interested in understanding and improving the experience of educators who engage young people in citizen science activities. If you have involved your students in research activities connected to real science projects, we would like to invite you to complete an online questionnaire for us and/or take an online interview. We will ask you questions related to your motivations for engaging your students in such activities, the engagement techniques you have used, and the challenges you may have faced during this trip. Your participation is voluntary and all the information you give us will be anonymised.

You can find more information about us and about the project, and take part in the study here:
    https://openuniversity.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/citsci-edu

Looking forward to your responses!

Best,
    Maria on behalf of CitSci Edu
    @citsci_edu #citsciedu

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

For a simple one you could look at the big school birdwatch (like gardens but there is a specific one for school) - there is a website you can register for and then they send you information nearer the time, if I recall. Springwatch and related series are often a good place for nature based citizen science projects...

EBC likes this.
  6. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter