1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

City teachers banned from raising cuts with councillors

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by mydoll, Mar 20, 2011.

1. That would make me even more likely to exercise my democratic right to raise concerns with councillors!

2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

In the authority I work for we are not allowed to respond/comment as teachers to the councillors. We are only allowed to do so as private residents. We must not use our work emails. However I like many others work in one authority while living in another so I do feel somewhat voiceless. We have known of employees, not teachers, being given formal warnings for using work email addresses to contact councillors re cuts etc

3. and that's fine, every council has the right to determine how its resources should be used. However, teachers in Edinburgh are being told not to contact councillors even if they use their own private email.
    I would suggest that teachers in every other EA email Gillian Tee to express their outrage at this undemocratic (and probably illegal) gagging.
    gillian.tee@edinburgh.gov.uk

4. I will!

5. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

great idea
    will also do that

6. Your MSP can write to your work LA on your behalf, especially the regional top up MSP which, unless I've got confused about where you are and work, should cover both constituencies. I would urge you to do this - both my MSP and I were disappointed by the replies from the council but there's no harm in keeping up the pressure.

7. You lay yourself open to discipline if you publicly criticise the council which is your employer. This is long-established. If you live and work in the same authority, you can make private representations to your councillor within his/her ward.

8. The distinction between grievance and opposition to moves by one's employer has been well made. The latter is really the province of the trade unions in consultation with the employer. I think one of the features of Scottish teacher negotiations has been the occasional closeness between Labour and Scotland's largest union. This may have been an advantage in the past, but in the last decade or so it has come to be a liability.
    I also think another difficulty is the lack of political control in council management. Officials too often are simply given their head.