1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Citizenship

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kezminda, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I am a NQT and am throwing ideas around in my head for when I start my new job in September. I want to set up a afterschool club to try and promote fundraising for charities (Children in need for example or any the children feel strongly about) promote volunteering and raise awareness of issues etc. Has anyone had experience of running a 'citizenship' club? If so what sort of things did you do etc? Many pupils interested? Any ideas welcome. Thanks

2. Hi, I am a NQT and am throwing ideas around in my head for when I start my new job in September. I want to set up a afterschool club to try and promote fundraising for charities (Children in need for example or any the children feel strongly about) promote volunteering and raise awareness of issues etc. Has anyone had experience of running a 'citizenship' club? If so what sort of things did you do etc? Many pupils interested? Any ideas welcome. Thanks

3. Hi kezminda,
    I love your idea!! I haven't had experience running or even hearing about a club like this, but I am very interested if others have.
    Are you secondary or primary? I'm primary and I would be very interested to see how many primary students would be interested. I have had quite a few girls in Year 4 this year organise and run colouring competitions during their lunchtimes (entry fee of 20p-ish) and they have donated their earnings to charities. Boys in the same class have made their own Joke Books and sold them, donating their money also.

4. Yay! I absolutely love that someone wants to do a citizenship club. I love you! What a great idea. It is often a neglected part of the curriculum but one that is so important for children to understand the world around them.
    Go Givers is a free citizenship programme for primary schools. www.gogivers.org (free to register and for all the lessons and resources). They have a great section about running a Go-Givers/Citizenship club here:
    http://www.gogivers.org/niftygear/GG-Clubs.pdf
    I'd love to hear how it turns out.
    Melty x

5. Brilliant! Thanks Melty for the links, had a quick look now and they seem fab!

6. You are very welcome.