1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Citizenship or History PGCE?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Morgsy1987, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Morgsy1987

Morgsy1987 New commenter

Sorry for another post here but I attended a Train to Teach Event run by Department for Education's Get Into Teaching recently as I am interested in teaching Secondary with a view to teach FE aswell, I have mentioned FE in a previous thread here. I am torn between applying for Citizenship or History if I did decided teaching is right for me following some school experience. I am looking to applying for starting in 2021 though that could change due to mental health reasons as I have a diagnosis of mental health and Aspergers.

The reasons why I am interested in Citizenship as that is my background as I have a Politics degree 2.2 and since Graduating in 2014 I have been volunteering for Citizens Advice initially as a Research and Campaigns Worker and now as an Initial Adviser. I have looked into where courses are offered though I do not know if training providers provide support to find once qualifying and there is hardly any job advertised in Citizenship. If I did apply then my personal statement would include the point of trying to get young people engaged in politics and society more generally.

The argiments for History is there are Training Providers locally to me and at the moment a Bursary offered. And another thing is there are more job advertised.

I cannot decide which way to go so I am posting here, please provide suggestions etc

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

There are hardly any citizenship teaching jobs but there are lots of history jobs. I would suggest history.

install and MathMan1 like this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’ve not seen a single job for citizenship. History gets my vote.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

History again. No jobs in citizenship. You could focus on history and do social sciences as a second, then you cover citizenship etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Morgsy1987

Morgsy1987 New commenter

Thank you for these suggestions.

I am looking into Secondary with a view to teach A Level Government and Politics though not decided as to Citizenship or History, My Politics degree did include some history though my A Level History is over 10 years ago now. I am unsure whether there is a History SKE.

I have looked into which places offer Citizenship and I would have to relocate as it is offered at Sheffield Hallam University, University College of London and Kingston University which offers Citizenship with Social Sciences. I look at this a fresh start if I did go down this road.

If I did decide History then I cannot think of anything to include in my Personal Statement apart from interested in the subject.

I am worried about the Occupational Health Assessments due to the diagnosis mentioned in my OP as in another worry/pressure on my plate. That being said I am trying to get some professional support in place. I am also in the process of applying for my provisional driving licence.

Longer term if do decide to pursue teaching then once teaching I am considering studying the National Award for Special Educational Needs CoOrdination as interested in SEND due to my own experiences.

6. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

A level G&P is not a common A-level outside of FE or maybe offered in schools and sixth form close to or in London for obvious reasons. There is no SKE in History so there's no option for you to do that unfortunately.

I wouldn't advise Citizenship at all. Most citizenship scheme of works are now done in tutor or form time. It's really no longer considered to be part of individual subject lessons students once had. I really would not pick citizenship. Usually this subject is only really classed as a second subject when studying a PGCE in Psychology or a different social science.

You can always relate history with literally any subject. But if you have no interest in teaching the most common history topics such as WW1/2, fascism in Italy, slavery, birth of America, history of medicine, witchcraft in early modern Europe, Greek mythology, British monarchy, etc. then you will not enjoy teaching History in secondary schools. Also, with a PGCE, you need to have a degree that's at least 50% worth of the subject you wish to teach.

Teach First is slightly different. Although you have a degree in politics, the way TF works is that they will put you with a school that needs whatever subject teacher. For example, a history graduate could end up teaching English when they opt for the TF route. It's obviously slightly different with a core subject. They won't get an English graduate teaching geography for example. They also consider your A-levels too (I think 10 years is a stretch for them).

7. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Some providers have a general social science option. This might be your best bet. There are not many citizenship jobs, there may be more history jobs but there are an awful lot of history teachers who end up teaching other things as a lot of people train to teach history.