1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Citalopram

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by badday, May 4, 2012.

1. I've been off work for a week and have been given citalopram by my doctor. He tells me it will make me feel better within a couple of weeks. I feel like I might feel better after a bit of time off work and am not sure whether I should start taking them. The side effects sound horrible and I can't imagine trying to come off them in 6 months time.
    I have another appointment with the doctor next week. What would he say if I said I decided not to take them? Or should I take them? The thought of becoming reliant on them and having to see the course through when I might feel better in a few weeks with a bit of tlc makes me want to avoid taking them.

2. I've been off work for a week and have been given citalopram by my doctor. He tells me it will make me feel better within a couple of weeks. I feel like I might feel better after a bit of time off work and am not sure whether I should start taking them. The side effects sound horrible and I can't imagine trying to come off them in 6 months time.
    I have another appointment with the doctor next week. What would he say if I said I decided not to take them? Or should I take them? The thought of becoming reliant on them and having to see the course through when I might feel better in a few weeks with a bit of tlc makes me want to avoid taking them.

3. I was prescribed Citalopram for possible anxiety. I personally found the side effects worse than my symptoms. I couldn't hack waiting for six to eight weeks to see if they kicked in, so gave up. Not a good advert, but some people say they really help them.
    Good luck.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Mr Belle is on them. Side effects not good to start with but now, 5 months down the line, he is much better.
    Any drugs like this take weeks, if not months to work properly. Coming off them before you've given them a chance is not a good idea.

5. Hi! I totally understand your dilemma as I felt exactly the same when my GP suggested it to me. It doesn't help that I'm a Psychology Teacher so have to teach psychopathology and therapies as well! LOL!
    However, I knew that my GP (nor the other GPs in my GP surgery) does not prescribe anything unless she thinks her patients need them, so I trusted the advice that she was giving me, especially as at the time, I felt that she was the only person (apart from nearest and dearest) who really took the time and trouble to listen to my feelings instead of either saying 'do this or do that' or brush them off (as my bosses did)!
    Also, by this stage, I had already been off for 2 weeks and had had some tlc, but did not feel any better at all! In fact, the thought of going back to work made me feel so much worse than I did before I saw the GP when I was there every day, so knew that something else needed to be done!
    They do sound horrible when you read the packet or read the posts of people on various forums who have been on them, so I questioned my GP a lot about this when she suggested that I take citalopram!
    She assured me that all I might have felt was a bit drowsy sometimes and a bit sick after eating or a bit worse for a couple of weeks! Definitely no weight gain or anything else and I found that she was absolutely right! I had no problems with them at all, except for what she described! They didn't change my personality, I didn't gain or lose lots of weight and I didn't feel zombified! Even the drowsiness and sickness she described weren't that bad and passed off after about 4 weeks except in moments of stress but would then pass off as I camed down! I also had no problems coming off them either (I came off them over 2 months ago and had been on them for a year exactly which I felt was long enough as I'd left the job that was making me ill)! Not that I should have done because they're not addictive!
    The only thing that you do have to be aware of when coming off citalopram is that you can get 'withdrawal' (but withdrawal is not exactly the right term for it) symptoms if you come off them too quickly, as in you can't just stop taking them 1 day after taking them for 6 months. You need to lower the dosage gradually over a few weeks. In my case, I dropped from 20mg to 10mg from December onwards then moved down to 1 every other day (10mg) for a month, then every other day for a month and then I stopped! I had no problem at all
    What I would say to you is to be very sceptical of the side effects listed on the packet or the horror stories perpuated on the internet! The drug company has to list every possible effect, in case someone becomes ill and sues the company for not telling the person and a lot of horror stories are written by people who are either extremely anxious and/ or depressed and therefore lead a lifestyle which is probably adding to the problem but blaming the bad feelings on the tablets! This does not mean that it will happen to you! Also, Citalopram is the preferred class of drugs prescribed because it has fewer side effects than soe of the other classes of drugs.
    Again, I understand your concern about this, as I still feel this way at times, but when all is said and done, your health is your business! If after reading the posts on this thread or other reliable sources of information (e.g. NHS choices or netdoctor) , you decide that you still don't want to take medication, then that's your choice and he is obliged to accept it (this is stated in the mental health act)! It's your body and your life and you must do what's best for you, not what someone else says! That said, I'm not going to tell you whether you should or should not take the medication. All I will say is that it's nothing to be frightened of and many people like myself take it/have taken it with very few problems or differences in behaviour and have successfully come off it at a later date and gone on to lead full and happy lives!
    I hope that this post helps and that you feel better soon!

6. amarantha_valentine

amarantha_valentine New commenter

Hi, I was given citalopram a few years ago when I was very down, I turned into a clingy toddler with my husband. It took about 3 Weeks to work and for me to start feeling ok. I took them for about 5 months before I started to forget to take them and that was how I came off them. I didn't really have any side effects apart from feeling sick in the first few weeks. Everyone reacts to drugs differently and no one can predict how you'll react. If you want to wait and see then do that as sometimes a break is the best medicine.

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I have been on Citalopram for 10 weeks now and feel much better. The biggest side effect for me was constant yawning! I really feel calmer and would give them a try. I was on 10mg dose for 4 weeks and felt worse, so dr. upped it to 20mg and that did the trick for me.
    Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

8. Hi jonowen

I followed your posts when I was writing under a different user name and am pleased that you're getting on ok as well!

Yep, I used to yawn all the time as well, even when not tired but after a few months, this only happened when I felt 'agitated' for want of a better phrase and then stopped when I calmed down. Hehe!

I agree with the person on here who said that different drugs affect people differently! It's strange how you're ok and I was ok on it and others are not. It suggests to me that our bodies like citalopram! ;-)

9. jonowen

Citalopram is the 3rd AD meds I have been on in 25 years (not continuously I hasten to add). I had PND and was prescribed Prozac (25 years ago), I think it helped but various positive factors combined helped me to get better. Then I had huge bust up with my parents (must have been close to a breakdown looking back) and took Seroxat. They were great until I tried to come off them - which I did but it was so hard.I vowed never to go on ADs again, but 10 weeks ago I was at my wits end and after lots of thought decided to go back to see my dr., and the rest is history, as they say! I feel good now, still mildly stressed but not so uncontrollably anxious. I will follow my dr's advice as to next step.
    I really think the key is a trustworthy doctor and some patience...........oh, and never say "never" [​IMG]
    (Hope you are well too abj [​IMG])

10. Citalopram worked for me, after a first day bout of diarrhoea. Fluoxetine (prozac) worked too, although it caused some itching.

11. I was on citalopram for a few months and it dealt with my depression really well. Unfortunately it was rubbish in dealing with my anxiety so my GP changed me to Sertraline which has done the job. I am really struggling with hot flush-type sweating outbreaks though ([​IMG]) so we might still have a change of meds on the horizon.
    Give them a go if nothing else has worked. This is the first time I've ever been on ADs and they have almost literally saved my life & sanity.

12. jonowen

Hope you are feeling better poem - you woudn't be sweating up here it's so cold !!
    Take care
    Joni x

13. I've been on it for a month now and noted possible side effect of being utterly exhausted (though I suspect that's more to do with lifestyle)- nothing else. Whether it's done anything or whether my improved state of wellbeing is down to a change in circumstances is hard to say.

Should be said though, besides an allergy to antibiotics, I never have bad reactions to medicines