1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circus topic planning - any ideas please? KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrswakefield, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Want to do a similar topic myself in September. Have trawled a few sites and found these ideas:

Fancy Dress Shop role play area
    Outside drape a gazebo to become a big top this can then have a ticket office, posters desinged for it, balancing actvities, skipping, hoops, bunting with sequencing and pattern included, lights etc

Make biscuits and use smarties, strawberry laces etc stuck on with tube icing to make clowns faces
    parents in to face paint

buckets with paper bits in for water (tidying problem there but good fun)

Let me know if you find anything brill as still need inspiration!

Sarah
    x

2. Ive also been given the circus topic and am struggling for ideas, any topic plans for ideas would be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    xxxxxx

3. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

4. Hello
    We've got a few circus themed resources on TES Resources. Check out the link below.
    Circus resources
    Best wishes
    Gail

5. I wrote a book published by EPS called Circuses and Pirates. Loads of English ideas, amy of them cross-curricular. ISBN 9781905637676. Check out Educational Printing Services Ltd website.

6. I need to learn how to type - read 'many' for amy.

7. Hello,

If your school buys into the International Primary Curriculum, there is an entire unit on Circuses for Year 2 age children. it is a fantastic resource, Good luck,

Emma

8. Hi Hollybee,
    greetings
    to yu.
    Eva from Kenya
    Oshwal Academy Mombas

9. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

10. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

My school has a circus week every year, we all take an element. Some of these might not be appropriate but I'll share them all with you (the ones I can remember):

Y1: People who work at the circus
    Y2: Circus vehicles.
    Y3: Circus food
    Y4: Circus equipment - looking at and making in DT.
    Y5: Using animals in the circus - P4C based.
    Y6: Circuses around the world (Cirque Du Soleil, Moscow Circus, Chinese State Circus)

These aren't year group specific, just what each teacher chose when we originally brainstormed. They might help you as a starter for some ideas? We also got a company in for the day to teach us circus skills and it was fantastic, at the end of the day the class put on a show for everyone else - something to consider.

Hope it goes well!

11. We are doing circus in year 2. The children are holding a circus 'concert' they will be designing tickets, selling and pricing the, learning basic skills etc. I'm really looking forward to it !

12. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

13. I can send you a Circus board game that can be used with cards for reading, spelling, number bonds etc.
    margaret2612@btinternet.com

14. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

15. We have been doing the IPC topic of the Circus. Was great fun for the children. They designed their own circuses, we had a discussion about the ethics of having animals in the circus, we looked at the history of the circus and at some famous clowns, bipp the clown, marcel marceaux etc

16. Massive thanks for this set of resources! I feel excited about our circus topic now!

17. Making poi out of ribbons, string, and balls is a great activity easy to do with KS1 & KS2.
    Have the pupils investigating different lengths of string, materials, etc to see how they affect the action of the poi.
    Ideal for learning Sc1, Sc3, and Sc4.2

18. Hello,
    Our R, Y1, Y2 classes took part in a circus themed science workshop provided by Shell. The workshop was all about forces and they completed lots of activities related to the theme. They had to balance cut out clowns on a tightrope by attaching weights; they had to roll a marble down a shoot, bounce it off a trampoline (a cup with rubber stretched over it) and make the marble land in another cup. I have the session notes somewhere if they would be useful for you!

19. Has anyone got an actual Circus topic plan/web they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thank you.