1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circles Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by llanellip, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Can anyone help with ideas?

I have been asked to teach a group of 15 Year 8 pupils, from a middle ability group a lesson lasting 20 minutes.

Topic is Circles
    With instruction to interpret the topic in any form you wish.

What do you peeps think?

2. What is your best circles topic

I always think that a good interview lesson is based on something you already know you do well

3. I would recommend nrich's activities based on the circle geoboard.

4. I would say all circles topics are good for me. I'm just thinking about the levels?
    Pupils will be levels 4-6 maybe? Short about of time???

Arrrrhhhhhh! [​IMG]

5. I have found the geoboard. Are there any suggested activities?

6. Yes, click on one of the angle tags at the bottom of the page. Here we go, http://nrich.maths.org/5783

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Draw some circles on the board, get the kids to come out and draw some circles, and then compare and decide who is the best.
    They can then run circles around everyone else.
    How does that sound?

8. I really like the idea. My only worry is that it is more of a lesson on Angles in Triangles and Angles around a Point.
    Is this really a lesson about circles?

9. "Draw some circles on the board, get the kids to come out and draw some circles, and then compare and decide who is the best.
    They can then run circles around everyone else.
    How does that sound?"

I wouldn't employ someone who did that? Would you?

Thanks for the idea though

10. Is it about Circles? I read that you could interpret that as you wanted. I guess you're right though, as the angles on the geoboard was how brookes interpreted it.

11. Karvol

Nope, I wouldn't.
    But then again I wouldn't employ anybody who couldn't come up with a decent lesson on circles without resorting to an internet forum either.
    Think about the impression you are giving.

12. I still say that you must have a topic that you like and enjoy and that would be ideal

Me ... I would inscribe or circumscribe ... I find it wow

But you may have something else you find wow so that would be better for you

13. Phew, lucky i'm not applying to your school/college then.

14. Are you serious

Tell the school/college that you could not even come up with a single lesson suggestion yourself so resorted to asking on here

Karvol is not the only one who would not employ you

15. I'm really sorry i've offended people on here, just wanted to get thoughts and ideas from the experts that use this site. You don't have to contribute if you don't want. I just thought this forum was a place where people got on and shared ideas.

16. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

But, what if the HOD from the school is reading these posts?

Best bet is to teach a circles lesson you have already taught as that way you know what you are doing, you will already have the resources and you can concentrate on perfecting your questioning skills.

17. Karvol

You haven't offended anybody.
    However we are being serious. Teaching is to a certain extent a reflection of your personality and who you are. You cannot pretend to be something you are not and continue with it for very long.
    My point, irrespective of how it was received, is that YOU have to create the lesson. It has to be your idea. Once you have something then many on this forum will be more than happy to critique it or give you suggestions to enhance it based upon our own experiences.
    What we cannot do, and really is not in your best interests - short or long term - is plan your lesson for you.

18. There is a difference in asking for a lesson to be planned and asking for ideas.
    I don't think I asked for any planning to be done, but I am looking at ideas. I particularly liked the earlier geoboard idea as I did not know that existed. I will be using that in future but probably in an angles topic.
    Anyway, it is past my bedtime now. You can consider the thread closed.
    Enjoy school tomorrow everyone [​IMG]

19. I wouldnt employ somebody who couldnt plan lesson after being given such an open topic straight off the top of their head.
    The topic doesnt matter, your delivery of the lesson does and as long as its somewhere in the right area regards the curriculum and the kids ability range its all about how you teach.
    You put your lesson plan up in short, people can help by saying, yes, no or maybe.

20. Karvol

Yes there is. The ideas bit should be obvious to an even completely wet behind the ears teacher. The lesson planning bit requires experience to do properly.