1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circle time help

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Catjellycat, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

Hi all,

I've got to deliver a circle time for a group of Key Stage 2 children with MLD. Whilst any resources would be lovely, I wouldn't be so cheeky! A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated though. I've confused myself speaking to secondary colleagues who have spoken lots about vocabulary but it seemed to me, it would need to be more visual based.

Thoughts appreciated!

2. TeachersTimeTurner

TeachersTimeTurner New commenter

Hello,
    As a key stage 2 SEN teacher whenever I do circle time I always try to concentrate on social skills or the behaviours I want children to display in the classroom.
    E.g. good turn taking, waiting for your turn to speak, joining in with songs etc.

Some activities I might do:
    - Pat a cake pat a cake song (usually with a knitted cake or a picture of a cake) and instead of 'baby and me' I will choose the starting sound of a child's name and then have them as the person the cake goes to (e.g. pat a cake pat a cake baker's man, bake me a cake as fast as you can, pat it and ***** it and mark it with 'j' and put it in the oven for Joe and me) then I pass the picture or the cake to that child. Then we continue with the song but the child has to choose someone else. I encourage the children to think about who hasn't had a turn and to try and remember so that they can choose someone new. Helps children with joining in (we usually pat our knees in time to the song) as well as with sound recognition. Also helps with learning names of other children if they don't already know each other.

- Postman game - give each child a picture of a door with a number on the front (numbers going up to however many you have in the class) and then give one child a set of envelopes with those numbers on but remove one at random (don't let the children see it). Then have the child go around and deliver the letters. Whoever doesn't get their letter goes next, take out a different letter for the next round. Helps children to wait patiently as well as with number matching.

- The 'I went to the supermarket and bought a...' is always a good game. Children have to go around the circle and say something before saying all the purchases of the people before them. Great for memory. We usually use the signs to go with these as some of our children are non-verbal or have difficulty with speech.

Anyway that is just some ideas, there's always the traditional 'who stole the cookie from the cookie jar' song too and also sending a child out and having the others hide something behind one of them. They're always fun too.

Hope it goes well for you!