1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circle Time Games

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by phoneticallyjolly, May 9, 2008.

1. Some circle times we've done recently with focus on listening, speaking, looking, concentrating and thinking:

Circle Time ? Looking skills

? V quick re-cap on rules of circle time- listen, take turns, respect
    ? Explain that we are going to use our eyes. What are they used for? Looking, watching, seeing
    ? Put interesting objects in the middle of the circle. Chn partner up and spend a minute each, describing one of the objects without touching it.
    ? Choose a few children to share their descriptions. Explain that they have to look carefully to be able to describe in detail.
    ? Use Salt and Pepper (rabbit and Mouse puppets) to act out a short scenario- One looking sad, hunched, hiding/ shy ? the other not looking or not paying attention, carries on talking. Ask children to freeze the picture (could use the remote control) and say what they?d do differently.
    ? Play emotions mime round the circle- using emotion cards and circle time object. Pick a card- don?t show anyone- mime that emotion, others guess

Circle Time- Listening skills

? V quick re-cap on rules of circle time- listen, take turns, respect
    ? Explain that we are going to use our ears. What can they be used for? Listening, hearing etc
    ? Clap/ tap rhythms to copy Choose different people to start the rhythm
    ? Listen to clips of music of different styles. Circle round- ?That music made me think of??
    ? Paired talk. Ask partner 2 questions e.g. what did you have for breakfast? And What did you do at the weekend? They then feedback their partner?s answers to another pair to show that they listened and taken in the information.
    ? Salt and Pepper ? Pepper tries to tell Salt something. Salt is looking the other way, talking to the other children, moving around, reading a book, interrupting. As before, chn use the freeze tool to freeze the drama and say how they would do it differently.

Circle Time- Speaking skills

? V quick re-cap on rules of circle time- listen, take turns, respect + things we learnt about using our eyes and ears.
    ? Explain that we are going to use our mouths- what for? Talking, speaking COMMUNICATING!
    ? Show and tell ? speaking clearly and loudly could be incorporated into this circle time.
    ? Salt and Pepper ? Salt mumbles something to Pepper. What?s the problem? What does Salt need to do?
    ? Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry all together
    ? Pass the vowel- oooo, aaaah, eeeee, making your mouth a stretched as possible.
    ? Teach them- Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, but Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, so Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy... was he???

Circle time- Thinking skills

? V quick re-cap on rules of circle time- listen, take turns, respect + things we learnt about using our eyes, ears and mouths.
    ? Explain that we are going to use our brains- what for|? Imagining, thinking, being sensitive to other people
    ? Sparkly box/ magic bag- what might be in there? Share with a partner.
    ? Circle time round- ?If I could take only one think to another planet it would be??
    ? Pose a question- what might it be like to live in a poor country- Cambodia, Brazil, Ethiopia etc? Ask them to consider all the things that you would lack.
    ? ?One thing I would give a child in a poor country is?? encourage thought beyond material possessions.
    ? Use emotion cards again. In pairs- why might they be feeling that way?
    ? Salt and Pepper ? Explain that Salt?s pet is very poorly. Pepper says ?I wonder if your pet is going to die? Salt cries and Pepper doesn?t know why. Can the children help?

Circle Time- Concentrating skills

? V quick re-cap on rules of circle time- listen, take turns, respect + things we learnt about using our eyes, ears and mouths.
    ? Explain that we are going to use our brains again- this time for concentrating
    ? Memory game- I went to the shop and I bought or tray game with objects to remove.
    ? Simon Says
    ? 4 word sequence- cat, dog, fish, bird around the circle- increase quantity if able.
    ? Salt trying to work on something. Pepper keeps interrupting. Salt gets cross with Pepper who is upset and goes away. Freeze! What would the children have done differently.

2. Wow, thank you so much!!! Will definitely be trying these out!! Your a star!!! xx