1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Circle Theorems....applications in "real" life

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Maths_Caz, May 20, 2009.

1. I'm a PGCE student, who did my degree back in 1987, and never came across circle theorems until this year during my first placement. I've discovered a love for geometric proof, and really enjoy teaching circle theorems just for their own sake...but to the perennial question "when will we ever need this, miss" I really don't have an answer! I'm quite happy to discuss logic, and proof etc., (and don't feel I need to give an answer to that question) but I'm now actually very curious myself: I've searched the internet high and low, and I really would like to know - where are circle theorems used, beyond the classroom?
    Thanks!

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

No: one with a hypotenuse larger than the diameter will do. I've used a sheet of A4 paper.
    Just place it so the 2 points are somewhere on the short sides - they don't need to be at the end.

3. Apologies DM - I did search for previous threads, but obviously missed this one! I'll check it out and send you my email address for the other stuff...

4. Ah, I can visulaise this now, thanks!

5. Right, I've checked out the other thread....not added much! So, we have neat borders around trees...any ither applications?